Basil, capers and feta cheese enhance the natural flavours of late-summer tomatoes in this simple recipe for Heirloom Tomato Salad. Keto-friendly.
Just looking at this heirloom tomato salad photo makes me giddy with excitement. Memories of a salad made with sun-warmed tomatoes, fresh from the vine and drizzled with pungent olive oil come flooding back with every bite. That salad, savoured in a tiny outdoor café on the shores of the Mediterranean, is one that's etched in my memory.
And now we're heading back to the sunny Mediterranean again! I feel like a kid waiting for her birthday, but I've forced myself not to begin counting the days, just yet. This time, we've chosen a return visit to Portugal and Spain. An escape from the inevitable winter dreariness of West Coast fall and winter.
Warmth, sunshine, and colour!
Late summer tomatoes are something we crave all year. Winter tomatoes are so disappointing. So when spring comes, Denis and I plant, water, nurture, pinch. Now, in late August, we're rewarded with a large harvest of sun-ripened tomatoes.
This year, we planted a Black variety. They're an elongated tomato, deep rich red, almost mahogany in colour, and their flavour is just as rich. I sliced them, along with other heirlooms, to make the base for this mouth-watering heirloom tomato salad.
Simple is best! This Heirloom Tomato Salad is the easiest you'll ever make!
Simple is best!
A smattering of basil and a spoonful of capers brings out the deep rich flavour of tomatoes, (you know--those ones picked at their peak of ripeness, just at that moment before they're so ripe that they split). Sprinkle some sea salt and feta crumbles on top and your salad is ready to dress.
I chose to use a simple balsamic dressing, and by simple I mean no recipe needed! I whisked spoonfuls of olive oil and balsamic vinegar together and drizzled a little on the salad just before serving.
A simple summertime tomato salad, bursting with flavour!
Looking for more delicious tomato recipes? Try these.
- Broiled Italian Tomatoes with Garlic and Herbs
- Rustic Tomato Salad
- Tomato Avocado Black Bean Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Balsamic Bocconcini Cherry Tomato Salad
- Quick Classic Tomato Bruschetta
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil, Capers and Feta
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, any variety, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Slice large tomatoes, arrange on serving dish. Add halved cherry tomatoes.
- Cut basil chiffonade-style, leave some leaves whole and arrange on serving dish. Sprinkle with sea salt. Garnish with capers and crumbled feta.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon olive oil with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Drizzle over salad and serve immediately.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.