Chicken Fajita Bowl with Cauliflower Rice is a paleo meal-in-a-bowl! Succulent fajita chicken, with colourful peppers, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro-lime cauliflower rice, all in one low-carb bowl, makes a healthy Mexican fajita bowl dinner.
This low-carb Chicken Fajita Bowl with Cauliflower Rice makes an easy, healthy weeknight meal that you'll likely be making again and again! It's a meal-in-a-bowl with amazing flavours, interesting textures and bright appetizing colours.
Power bowls have become trendy, for good reason!
Pinterest abounds with all kinds of options for chicken bowl recipes. I love these bowls because they make sense to me. If I'm creating a meal and making sure the flavours complement one another, then I like them to cozy up to one another and share their tastiness with their neighbour instead of being separated on a plate.
Besides, on lazy, casual nights, a bowl on my lap on the couch while Netflixing (is that a word?) is much easier to handle than a dinner plate.
Ready to make this easy Mexican fajita bowl recipe?
🛒 Chicken Fajita Bowl Ingredients
You'll find a complete list of ingredients in the recipe card below. Here are a few helpful notes.
- chicken breasts: boneless, skinless
- bell peppers: one of each colour makes an appetizing dish
- red onion: for flavour and colour. If you find red onions too strong, soak the slices in a small amount of water for 15 minutes, then drain.
- avocado: its creamy texture contrasts with the crunchy red peppers
- fresh tomatoes
- cauliflower rice: easy to make! Find the instructions here. 3 Easy Steps to make Cauliflower Rice. Replacing rice with cauliflower rice adds nutrition, fiber, and lowers the carbohydrate count.
- marinade ingredients: lime juice, olive oil, garlic, and spices
The cauliflower rice bandwagon is still rolling on
In fact, it's gathering speed, and if you haven't jumped on it yet, you must. Cauliflower rice is absolutely delicious and incredibly versatile, taking on the flavour of whatever you decide to season it with.
And moreover, cauliflower is an extremely healthy veggie! Read more about the nutrition benefits of cauliflower!
Complete instructions are written in the recipe card below. Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this healthy fajita bowl.
- Start by mixing the marinade ingredients and marinating the chicken breasts.
- Next, slice or chop the onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes and prepare the cauliflower rice.
- Once the vegetables are prepared, sear the chicken on both sides and cook until juices run clear and it has reached 165°F. Set aside to rest.
- Sauté the peppers and onions in the same skillet.
- Now it's time to assemble the bowls. Arrange the vegetables on a bed of cauliflower rice, then slice the avocado and add to the bowls.
- And finally, slice the fajita chicken breasts, add to the bowls, and drizzle with any pan juices. Garnish with cilantro, if you like and enjoy!
How to make cauliflower rice
Cauliflower Rice is so easy, it will become one of your go-to recipes! Click here for easy 3-step cooking instructions.
This Chicken Fajita Bowl with Cauliflower Rice makes an ideal dinner for busy weeknights because you can prepare much of it ahead of time. Work smarter, not harder!
Double or triple the fajita chicken portion of the recipe and freeze it in meal-size containers. Do the same with the cauliflower rice (see easy instructions here) and then all you have to do is sauté some bell peppers and onions and add some fresh vegetables to your bowl.
I hope you like this low-carb Mexican chicken rice bowl as much as we do! When you make it, let me know in the comments section below. I love hearing what you've made!
Chicken Fajita Bowl with Cauliflower Rice
- 2 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp high heat oil like grapeseed or avocado oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 medium bell peppers, red, orange, and yellow
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pit removed and sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower rice with cilantro and lime
- If your chicken breasts are quite thick, slice them horizontally so they will cook quickly. Set aside in a glass dish.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and pour over chicken breasts. Allow to marinate for 1 - 2 hours or up to 8 hours in the fridge.
- Slice onion and peppers and chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Prepare cauliflower rice (see 3 Easy Steps to Make Cauliflower Rice.)
- Heat oil in skillet until it shimmers. Carefully add chicken breasts and sear. Cook on each side for about 5-7 minutes (if thinly sliced, longer if thicker) until meat thermometer registers at least 165°F and juices run clear. Remove from pan, cover with foil and let rest. while you quickly sauté the peppers and onions.
- Assemble the bowls with the cauliflower rice, peppers, onions and tomatoes.
- Peel and slice avocado last to prevent browning. Add chicken to dish, drizzle with pan juices and serve immediately.