This simple yet delicious recipe for Moroccan-Style Chicken with peppers features boneless, skinless chicken thighs and colorful bell peppers, seasoned with warm North African spices. The dish has a blend of cumin, coriander, and a touch of cinnamon, bringing the exciting flavors of Morocco to your table!
❤️ Why you'll love this Moroccan-inspired dish
- A short list of ingredients: spice rub, chicken thighs, and sweet bell peppers
- A 30-minute dish
- No special equipment. Just like my Moroccan Lemon Chicken with Olives and Tomatoes, you don't need a tagine to make this dish.
- Allergen-friendly. Gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Exciting North African flavors. You might also like this Moroccan Harissa Cauliflower Soup, simmered in a slow cooker, or these Harissa Chicken Burgers.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with quantities in the recipe card below. But before we get to the full recipe, here are a few notes about the ingredients.
- spice rub: warm Moroccan spices like dried red chili peppers, coriander, cumin, sea salt, cinnamon.
- skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- extra virgin olive oil
- sweet bell peppers: red, yellow, and /or orange
- lemon slices for serving (optional)
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this recipe for Moroccan chicken and peppers perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Combine the spices and sprinkle the mixture over the chicken.
- Brown the chicken pieces in oil on both sides, then continue cooking until done, usually 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the bell peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until they have softened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Arrange and serve. Transfer the bell peppers to the platter with the chicken. If desired, garnish with lemon slices for a hint of lemon.
🔁 Possible Variations
Add other vegetables along with the peppers. Choose vegetables that will take the same time to cook as the peppers, such as chopped zucchini, or small broccoli or cauliflower florets.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Adjust the spice level: This recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of dried chili flakes. If you like less heat, use ½ teaspoon.
Use a meat thermometer: Take the guesswork out of cooking chicken by using an instant-read meat thermometer. The chicken should register 165°F. when the thermometer is inserted in the thickest part of the thigh.
🍽 What to serve with Moroccan chicken and peppers
- This Moroccan chicken recipe pairs well with rice or with cauliflower rice, lightly seasoned with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and chopped parsley, cilantro or oregano.
- Other side dishes that pair well with Moroccan chicken are Quick Skillet Asparagus with Easy Lemon Aioli, Air Fryer Lemon Tahini Asparagus, or Broiled Tomatoes with Garlic and Herbs.
- A side dish of green beans adds to the enticing colors in this dish.
⏰ Storage Instructions
To store: Store leftover Moroccan chicken in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
🗒 More easy chicken recipes
🌟Did you make this recipe?
When you make this recipe for Moroccan-style chicken with peppers, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Moroccan-Style Chicken and Peppers
- 6 to 8 medium chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 3 medium bell peppers, one red, one orange, one yellow
- 1 teaspoon dried chili peppers, or ½ teaspoon for less spicy flavor
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or Kosher salt
- 1 medium lemon, sliced for garnish, optional
- Combine the spices: dried chili flakes, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and sea salt and sprinkle the mixture over the chicken.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken pieces in oil on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until done, (165°F. ) usually 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the chopped bell peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally until they have softened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the bell peppers to the platter with the chicken. If desired, garnish with lemon slices and fresh herbs. Serve immediately.