Silky smooth and creamy dairy-free chocolate mousse, made with naturally sweet ingredients. This chocolate mousse with avocado is paleo and vegan too!
This avocado chocolate mousse recipe has made the rounds on Pinterest for a while now and it's so good that I know it's here to stay!
I've made it many times since I first posted this recipe way back in 2018, and I've updated the photos.
The first time we were served this amazing vegan chocolate mousse, I had to consciously pull myself back into the conversation when I found myself drifting off into chocolate heaven with every silky spoonful.
It's just that good.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Healthy: It's a healthy dessert choice, without sacrificing the flavour of a traditional chocolate mousse.
- Delicious: Made with a base of avocado and banana, this dessert is shockingly good and as close to a high-fat whipping cream-style mousse as you can get without indulging in all that nonsense.
- Quick and Easy: You can make it in about 10 minutes or so! Blend it before dinner and chill it to enjoy afterwards.
The ingredients in this dairy-free chocolate mousse may surprise you!
I've experimented with different versions since I first tasted this mousse. After tweaking and testing, I've found the one that I like best.
Cacao or cocoa, avocado, banana . . . this does not sound like an enticing combination, but it will surprise you.
Check to see if you have everything you need.
- avocados: you'll need two ripe ones
- cacao or cocoa powder: your choice
- banana: one very ripe one will give this mousse a silky natural sweetness
- almond milk: or other plant-based milk of your choice
- pure maple syrup
- vanilla extract: pure
- cinnamon: just a hint heightens the chocolate flavour.
- sea salt: just ¼ teaspoon, and optional flaky sea salt for garnish
Simply put everything in your food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Spoon into dessert dishes, cover and chill. Before serving, add a topping or two.
Suggested toppings for chocolate mousse
Try any of the following to make this healthy chocolate avocado mousse extra special:
- cocoa nibs
- chocolate shavings
- flaked almonds
- finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- finely chopped salted pistachios
- flaky sea salt
A sprinkle of flaky sea salt, like Fleur de Sel, on top also transforms this dessert from good to great, heightening all the other fabulous flavours.
The crunch from the cocoa nibs and the toasted nuts is amazing, so be generous when you garnish this dessert.
How to store avocado chocolate mousse
Store leftover chocolate mousse covered in the fridge. It will stay fresh for 3 days or so. You don't have to worry about the avocado turning brown. It doesn't!
Make a healthy dessert choice with this vegan Chocolate Mousse. Indulge. Enjoy!
Love tiny desserts? You might like these 12 Gluten-Free Mini Desserts in Jars.
If you like this vegan Chocolate Mousse, you are going to love this easy Double Chocolate Mousse Torte. It's also vegan, paleo, and divine.
When you make this avocado chocolate mousse, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance!
Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
More gluten-free dessert recipes to try soon
Dairy-Free Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 2-4 tablespoon almond milk, or other plant-based milk
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- cacao nibs, toasted finely chopped nuts, berries, or flaky sea salt for garnish
- Put the flesh of the avocados in a blender or food processor, add the cacao powder or cocoa, plant-based milk, banana, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt and process until very smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into serving dishes. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or longer. Garnish with your choice of coconut, cacao nibs, finely chopped nuts, strawberries, raspberries and/or flaky sea salt.