This dairy-free Mexican Hot Chocolate with cashew milk or almond milk is made with 0-calorie sweetener, unsweetened cocoa and rich dark chocolate. This spiced hot cocoa is a cozy warm drink for chilly days!
This recipe for Cashew Milk Mexican Hot Chocolate makes a warm, rich and chocolatey drink. Spiced with cinnamon and chili, this is hot chocolate for grown-ups! Also known as Aztec Hot Chocolate or Spiced Hot Cocoa, whatever you call it, it’s a warm, comforting drink with a little spicy kick!
And now you can enjoy it dairy-free!
What could be better than a mug of steaming hot cocoa on a cold winter day? While I love this Warm Turmeric Cinnamon Milk regularly, a mug of smooth melted hot chocolate is a treat! Enjoy this spiced hot cocoa yourself in front of the fireplace on a chilly night, serve it to friends after dinner, or take it with you on a snowy hike.
I’ve created this recipe without dairy and sugar. I used my traditional hot chocolate recipe and substituted cashew milk for dairy milk. Feel free to use any plant-based milk like almond milk or a cashew-almond blend that you can buy in a carton.
I also substituted Monkfruit Sweetener with erythritol for sugar. However, this recipe will be just as delicious with sugar, maple syrup or honey. Your choice! I don’t like my cocoa overly sweet, but feel free to adjust the amount of sweetener to your taste.
Ready to make a batch of Mexican hot chocolate?
Ingredients for Cashew Milk Mexican Hot Chocolate
- milk: cashew milk (from a carton) or almond milk or other plant-based milk
- cocoa powder: unsweetened
- sweetener: 0-calorie sweetener like Lacanto Monkfruit with erythritol, or sugar, maple syrup or honey
- cinnamon: ground. Adds a warm touch! Add a cinnamon stick to your mug as a garnish if you’d like.
- vanilla: pure vanilla extract
- chili powder: just a little, add more if you like. Or feel free to sub chipotle chili powder for more Mexican flavour!
- chocolate: bittersweet chocolate gives a rich, intense chocolate flavour, but you can use semi-sweet or what you have on hand. If the chocolate you’re using is sweeter than bittersweet, you may want to reduce the sweetener in this recipe.
How to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate with Cashew Milk
- You can make this hot spiced chocolate in a saucepan on the stove top, or you can simmer it in a slow cooker if you’d prefer.
- Start by cutting the chocolate into chunks, then melt over low heat, watching carefully.
- When almost melted, add the remaining ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Heat until completely combined and hot, but not boiling. Lower the heat to simmer to keep warm.
- Serve in mugs with a cinnamon stick.
- If you’d like, garnish with whipped cream or coconut whipped cream and a few chocolate shavings.
- To make chocolate shavings, warm a chocolate square very slightly in a microwave. Use a vegetable peeler to create small chocolate curls.
Is it a warm drink or is it dessert?
Drink or indulgent dessert? You decide! It could be either one. This spiced hot chocolate is sweet enough to enjoy as an after- dinner treat. For example, you can serve it as an adult drink by adding a half shot (or full shot) of a coffee liqueur like Kahlua. If you do decide to serve it with a liqueur, you may want to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe, as liqueurs are often quite sweet.
Cashew Milk Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups cashew milk almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp 0-calorie sweetener with erythritol like Lacanto Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol (or sugar)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or chipotle chili powder
- In a small saucepan, begin to melt chocolate over low heat. When softened, add milk and whisk in cocoa powder, sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla and chili powder. Increase heat to medium and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Pour into mugs. Garnish with whipped coconut milk or whipped cream and a sprinkle of shaved chocolate.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.