Indulge in this nutritious Chia Gingerbread Smoothie on winter mornings and start your day on a healthy note. This energizing, protein-rich smoothie is lightly spiced with the flavours of gingerbread: cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and ginger. It’s naturally sweetened with banana, dates and molasses.
It’s a festive drink for holiday mornings, too!
Have you ever searched Pinterest boards for Christmas breakfast ideas? You’ll likely find fat and sugar-laden dishes: cinnamon rolls baked in the shape of a Christmas tree, Monkey Bread topped with eggnog drizzle, baked French toast casserole, or the traditional “Wife-Saver” casserole made with white bread, eggs, bacon and cheese. They all taste wonderful, but if you have a big meal planned for later in the day, a lighter, healthier breakfast might appeal to you.
Like to be organized and make your breakfast the night before? Try this Cranberry Orange Breakfast Parfait or this Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait and have breakfast ready in the refrigerator when you wake up.
Here’s our recipe for our favourite Christmas morning smoothie. I hope you like it as much as we do.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk-- almond, coconut, etc.
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or milk kefir
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 1/2 tsp cooking molasses
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Put all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and serve.