This gluten-free Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait tastes like dessert for breakfast, but it's a healthy option to start your day. Made with layers of caramelized apples, crunchy granola, and Greek yogurt, this recipe makes a quick healthy breakfast for busy mornings!
Layers of sweet caramelized apples, thick and creamy Greek yogurt, and warmly spiced granola make the most delicious breakfast to welcome fall and winter mornings! It's a great way to celebrate apple season.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- This gluten-free Apple Crumble Yogurt Parfait is ideal for busy workday mornings. Starting the day with a healthy wholesome breakfast provides that power we all need to make it through . . . to lunch!
- Making easy breakfasts like this one (or Overnight Oats) the night before was always a lifesaver when I was teaching. Being able to grab a jar when I was out the door to get my classroom ready for the morning was incredibly helpful.
- A breakfast of layered caramelized apples, crunchy Apple Cinnamon Granola or Maple Nut Pumpkin Spice Granola together with creamy yogurt almost seems like an apple crisp.
- With only a small amount of added sweetener, this apple parfait is a healthy choice.
Ready to make a healthy apple breakfast parfait? Here's what you'll need.
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (peeling is optional)
- butter or oil
- coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- homemade granola (or your favourite store-bought granola)
- plain fat-free Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt for vegan or dairy-free diets)
How to make Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait
- Heat a small skillet over low to medium heat and add butter or oil. You'll only need a teaspoon or two.
- Once the butter has melted, sauté thinly sliced apple pieces for 2 - 3 minutes or until slightly softened and just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Add brown sugar or coconut sugar along with a pinch or two of cinnamon and stir to coat. Remove from the heat and cool. You can make these caramelized apples days ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Layer the ingredients in a jar or dessert glass. Begin with a layer of apples to completely cover the bottom of the jar, then add a layer of granola, the yogurt, another layer of apples, and finish with more granola on top.
🔁 Possible Variations
I have several granola recipes here on the blog, but at this time of year, Apple Cinnamon Granola and Maple Nut Pumpkin Spice Granola are my favourites. You can make granola using certified gluten-free oats, if necessary.
You can also make this breakfast parfait vegan or dairy-free by substituting coconut yogurt for Greek yogurt. If you'd prefer a sweeter yogurt, try vanilla yogurt instead.
🕑 Make ahead and storage tips
Make this healthy Apple Crumble Parfait today and have tomorrow's breakfast ready in the fridge! Store in a jar, a Mason jar, or a dessert glass, cover and refrigerate. This yogurt parfait will stay crisp overnight.
For longer storage, keep the granola in a separate container to prevent it from becoming soggy.
🍽 Is apple parfait a breakfast or a dessert?
You can serve this apple crumble parfait for either breakfast or dessert!
While it makes a healthy breakfast, this parfait also makes a delicious dessert. You could substitute vanilla yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream for Greek yogurt if you want a more indulgent dessert!
🗒 More healthy gluten-free breakfast ideas
🌟 Did you make this recipe?
When you make this apple crumble yogurt parfait, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
This recipe has been updated with extra information and the recipe has been tweaked to make it even more delicious!
Healthy Gluten-Free Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped (peeling is optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter or oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ cup apple cinnamon granola
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt for vegan diets)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Heat a small skillet and add butter or oil.
- Saute chopped apple pieces for 2 - 3 minutes.
- When they begin to turn golden brown on the edges, add sugar and a pinch or two of cinnamon and stir to coat. Remove from heat and cool.
- Layer ingredients in jar or glass. Begin with a layer of apples to completely cover the bottom of the jar, then add half the granola, the yogurt, another layer of apples and finish with more granola on top.
- Either enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate. Will stay crisp overnight.