Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Bourbon Sauce is a twist on a traditional apple crisp recipe, now made gluten and dairy-free with a paleo-approved caramel sauce!
This Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Bourbon Sauce is a twist on a traditional recipe. I’ve been the lucky recipient of boxes of apples lately, from friends who have been kind enough to share their excess. I’ve made apple chips in my dehydrator, applesauce, apple cake, and I’ve sliced them to dip in almond butter. Last week, after I made a salted caramel sauce to drizzle on the cake, I thought . . . bourbon!
Why not add a shot of bourbon to that heavenly warm salted caramel sauce?
And then, why not drizzle it over apple crisp?
And better still, why not add a dollop of dairy-free ice cream to that apple crisp with salted caramel bourbon sauce?
Anyone who knows me know that I am not a bourbon drinker. In fact, I’m not much of a cocktail girl at all, other than the occasional gin. I do, however, love those mini liquor bottles that are much more readily available in the US than they are here in Canada. They’re perfect for adding a punch of flavour and a little extra interest to recipes.
Last fall, when holidaying with friends in California, we visited the largest liquor outlet I’ve ever seen. While the guys were more interested in the great deals on wine, I was drawn like a magnet to the mini bottle display. Absinthe, Contreau, Limoncello, Peach Schnapps, Sambuca, everything from A to Z was ready for me to sample in miniature form, including a cute li’l bottle of bourbon.
That same little bottle of bourbon sat in my liquor cabinet until today.
Salted caramel sauce is delicious, no matter how you make it, using the classic recipe with granulated sugar and cream, or the paleo version with coconut sugar and coconut milk. Adding a hint of bourbon, however, raises it to a new level.
So if you’re a bourbon drinker and have some on hand, try adding it this caramel sauce. Or, if you’re like me, seek out those mini bottles, make this gluten-free apple crisp (or use your own favourite recipe), whip up some caramel sauce to drizzle on top, pour the extra into a cute little jar and share it with a friend.
Especially if they gave you some apples.
Try my other fruit crisp recipes, too!
- Gran Marnier Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Pineapple Rhubarb Crisp with Ginger
- Blueberry Limoncello Crisp
- Peach Crisp with Bourbon and Vanilla
- Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp with Crunchy Pecan Crumble
Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Bourbon Sauce
- 6 cups peeled,, sliced apples
- 1 - 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup,, depending on sweetness of apples
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca,, heaped if you like a thicker filling
- grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel and slice apples.
- In a large bowl, toss with tapioca starch or cornstarch, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Combine the crisp topping ingredients in a food processor, pulsing to mix evenly.
- Fill a 9.5 or 10-inch deep glass pie plate with the apple mixture, then add the topping.
- Bake for 28 - 30 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and crisp topping is golden brown.
- While baking, prepare Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe and instructions here), stirring in 1- 2 tbsp Bourbon.
- Cool the crisp slightly, then top with ice cream if desired and drizzle with Salted Caramel Bourbon Sauce.
Love caramel sauce? You’ll love this Paleo Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Coffee Cake, too!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.