Like crispy chicken wings? Use this method to produce crispy honey lime garlic wings without all the fat.
Easiest ever Honey Lime Garlic Wings!
Chicken wings are handy. I like to have a container full of cooked wings like these chipotle honey-mustard wings or these cranberry-glazed chili wings in the freezer ready to pull out for an appetizer, a quick meal or a picnic. We often take these Honey Lime Garlic Wings when we go out on our boat. With a salad or some fresh raw veggies and fruit, they make a complete picnic meal that everyone loves.
What is the best way to cook low fat chicken wings?
I like chicken wings, but I don’t like all the fat. I’ve discovered the secret to crispy wings is to toss them in a bit of oil (I know . . . that’s fat) and then cook them on high heat in the oven before adding a glaze. The fat renders out, leaving juicy meat and crispy skin. You’ll notice in the photo that these wings look a little skinny. Much of the fat was left behind when I cooked them and all that remains is intensely flavourful chicken wings.
This is an easy recipe. Just toss with a little oil (sesame oil has a nice flavour, if you have some, but any oil will do) and salt and pepper, bake until crispy while you whisk the glaze ingredients together, then smother with the glaze. Garnish and serve.
They’re sweet, they’re tangy, and they’re sticky. Get the napkins and lick your fingers!
Honey Lime Garlic Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- sesame seeds and/or snipped chives or green onions for garnish
for the Glaze
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or coconut aminos for paleo diet
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves,, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the wings with the sesame oil, salt and pepper.
- Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Whisk the honey, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), lime zest and lime juice, garlic, oil and chili flakes together.
- Transfer to a small skillet and boil rapidly until the glaze is slightly thickened. Watch carefully to prevent it from boiling over. Remove from the heat.
- When the chicken wings are done, transfer to a large clean bowl and toss with the glaze. Arrange on a platter and garnish with sesame seeds, snipped chives, or snipped green onions. Serve with napkins.