The best garlic parmesan chicken wings, cooked to crispy perfection in an air fryer. These air fryer wings are juicy inside and perfectly crispy outside due to a magic ingredient! An always popular bar or pub snack, now you can easily make them at home in an air fryer or in your oven.
Looking for a delicious and healthier alternative to fried chicken wings? Try these air fryer garlic parmesan chicken wings! These wings are crispy, juicy and richly flavoured with garlic and parmesan.
Perfect for a game-day snack or a family dinner, these wings are easy to make in your air fryer or in the oven. Soon to become your favourite wings!
❤️ Why you'll love these chicken wings
- Crispy on the outside, juicy and tender inside! The secret to crispy air fryer wings is to toss them in baking powder first. You'll have a hard time believing these wings weren't deep-fried in oil!
- Quick and easy. You'll toss them in a spice rub, then while they're cooking you'll have time to make the most delicious savory garlic parmesan sauce to toss them in.
- Flavour galore! This recipe has a double whammy of flavour, first from the spices, and then from the creamy garlic parmesan sauce made with butter, Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley.
A reader comments: These are perfect! Followed the recipe exactly. This will be my go to recipe from now on. Super crispy outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Spot on flavor!Merinda
These Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings are an occasional treat in our home. While I don't eat chicken wings often, sometimes it's great to have a treat, and these Air Fyer Garlic Parmesan Wings and these Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Wings are the ones I've been choosing to make lately!
In the winter, Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings find their way to my appetizer boards. Honey Lime Garlic Wings and Chipotle Honey Mustard Glazed Chicken Wings and Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are favourites for summer picnics. This week, however, I'm all over these air fryer wings with the most delicious garlic parmesan sauce!
These flavours are so popular that I've created a recipe for Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken thighs and breasts, too.
- chicken wings: split into wingettes and drumettes so they'll fit in an air fryer
- Parmesan cheese: fresh, finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano is best, and has the most flavour, but the powdered sprinkle-style Parmesan cheese that comes in a plastic container can be substituted. Shredded Parmesan sold in plastic packages will not work as well. Some pre-grated cheese has a coating that may prevent it from melting and sticking to the wings.
- garlic: fresh cloves or powdered garlic
- onion powder
- baking powder: the "secret ingredient" that makes these wings so crispy
- smoked paprika: adds a wonderful smoky spiciness and a warm colour
- parsley: freshly chopped
To make these yummy Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings you'll fry the wings first to crisp them and then toss them with this creamy garlic parmesan wing sauce once they're cooked.
Pat them dry first. Removing moisture will help to make them crisp.
Toss the wings with a seasoning mix of garlic, onion, smoked paprika and baking powder, the secret ingredient that makes them deliciously crispy.
Arrange them in the basket of your air fryer in a single layer. I try to separate the wingettes from the drumettes, cooking them separately in batches. The drumettes are meatier and will take a little longer to cook than the wingettes.
Cook for 10 minutes, then pause, remove the basket and use tongs to flip the wings.
Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or so, checking every 3 minutes. The great thing about an air fryer is that you can pause and check the progress of your wings without worry.
Cooking time will vary, depending on your air fryer and the size of the wings.
Make the garlic parmesan wing sauce. While the wings are frying, melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the remaining seasoning ingredients to make the sauce and mix well.
When the wings are done, toss them in the sauce, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve!
Follow the air fryer instructions, but to bake, lay them in a single layer on a rack set over a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400°F. for about 45 minutes, turning once partway through.
Baking on a rack helps to keep them crispy as the air can circulate around them, just as it does in an air fryer.
👍🏼Helpful Tips to make the best air fryer wings
Cooking time may vary. Air fryers vary considerably in cooking time. I use the Ninja AF100 which has a fairly small basket. I've discovered it's best to set the timer for less time than a recipe recommends, check, and add more time if needed. Drumettes will take a little longer to cook than wingettes.
Separate the wings. Separating the wingettes (or flats) from the drumettes (or drums) and cooking them separately helps to ensure even cooking.
Check for doneness. An instant-read meat thermometer (affiliate link) is a handy tool to have when using an air fryer. Chicken should be cooked to 165°F.
🥶 How to store, reheat and freeze chicken wings
Store leftover wings in the fridge. To reheat, place in the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 350°F. and check after 5 minutes.
Freeze cooked chicken wings in a single layer, then once frozen, transfer to a resealable freezer bag or an airtight containter. When you're ready to serve them, thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat in your aifr fryer at 350°F. for about 5 minutes.
This is the Air Fryer I use. It's easy to use, not too big to store, and incredibly easy to clean. (affiliate link)
🗒 More chicken wing recipes
This recipe was originally published in 2020. I've updated it with extra information.
When you make these garlic parmesan wings, please leave a comment and a rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings, split into wingettes and drumettes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Pat the chicken wings dry.
- Brush ½ to 1 teaspoon of oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. for 3 minutes.
- Combine the seasoning mix for the wings: salt and pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder.
- Toss the chicken wings in this seasoning mix until well coated.
- Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer. You may have to cook these in two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Cooking the wingettes and the drumettes separately helps to ensure even cooking.
- Set the temperature to 400°F. and the timer for 10 minutes.
- Check after 10 minutes, then use tongs to flip the wings over and cook for an additional 5 - 10 minutes, checking after 3 minutes with an instant-read meat thermometer. Chicken should be cooked to a minimum 165°F.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients. In a small saucepan, melt butter, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Just before serving, toss the cooked wings with the Garlic Parmesan Sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
I want to make these ahead of time for the holidays. Can I freeze them after coating with the sauce and just thaw and reheat when needed?
Yes. I'd suggest laying them out in a single layer on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, freezing, then storing them in an airtight container or zip-top bag. You could also vacuum seal them (if you have one.) Thanks for your question!
Definitely a keeper recipe! That sauce is to die for.
Flavour & Savour
Awww thanks! I have to agree--it's so good!
These are perfect! Followed the recipe exactly. This will be my go to recipe from now on. Super crispy outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Spot on flavor!
Flavour & Savour
Thanks, Merinda! So happy to hear you liked them. We love these ones, too!
First recipe for my new air fryer! Thank you
Flavour & Savour
You'll love your air fryer! These wings are SOOO good!
Just have to let you know these wings were a big hit this weekend! I used my new air fryer and they came out so crispy. Love this recipe.
Flavour & Savour
Glad to hear you're enjoying your air fryer! It works so well to cook wings! Thanks for stopping by!
Incredibly good! My new favorite wings!
Flavour & Savour
Mine too! Thanks for commenting!