Fresh, crisp, sweet and green!
This Kiwi Cucumber Salad is definitely green, but it’s certainly not a typical “green” salad! Tender butterhead lettuce leaves topped with sweet kiwi and thinly sliced crisp cucumbers make the base for this refreshing salad. Walnuts and fresh mint leaves add a punch of flavour.
I’ve always known that kiwi fruit are a good source of Vitamin C, but I wasn’t aware of all the other benefits of this fuzzy little fruit. While our kiwifruit usually come from New Zealand or California, occasionally it’s imported from Italy. Sweet, firm and juicy, and absolutely perfect!
I learned that two kiwifruit contain as much potassium as a banana, and twice as much Vitamin C as an orange. They are an excellent source of fiber, even if you don’t eat the skin (which is NOT weird in your mouth and is fine to eat as long as you wash it first).
Eaten regularly, kiwifruit is a heart-healthy choice as it can thin the blood and reduce blood clotting and lower triglycerides. Not only that, it is also a good source of magnesium.
All good reasons to pick up a few next time you shop!
How to carve kiwi flowers
Kiwi Cucumber Salad with Walnuts and Fresh Mint
- 1 head butter lettuce (or other greens of your choice)
- 6 kiwi fruit
- 1/2 long English cucumber
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- mint sprigs
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp lime infused olive oil, OR 1 tbsp fresh lime juice and 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash, dry and tear lettuce leaves and arrange in a serving dish or on 4 plates. Slice cucumber very thinly, using a sharp knife, a mandoline slicer or a spiralizer. Pat dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Add to salad.
- Peel and slice 2 kiwi fruit and add to salad. Carve the remaining kiwi fruit into flowers and add to salad. Top with walnut pieces and fresh mint leaves.
- Drizzle with Lime Vinaigrette just before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Like this recipe? Please pin it or share it! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe.