This Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad has a winning combination of healthy greens and colourful fruit, rich in Vitamin C to boost your immune system! Delicious with a Creamy Avocado Dressing, it makes a beautiful holiday salad for dinner or lunch. Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Add healthy greens to your diet with Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad!
During winter holiday time when I'm tempted with so many delectable sweets and treats, I try to stay healthy by loading up on iron-rich greens and fruit and veggies high in vitamins and minerals. Who wouldn't be tempted by a pretty kiwi spinach salad like this one?
Loaded with kiwifruit, mandarin oranges, avocado and pomegranate arils all nestled in a bed of baby spinach, I drizzle this holiday salad with my favourite Creamy Avocado Dressing.
In the spring, I make this Kiwi Cucumber Salad with Walnuts and Fresh Mint. This week, I used winter fruits, like kiwi and oranges with tiny jewel-like pomegranate arils. This spinach salad makes a spectacular side salad for your dinner, or a lunch-to-look-forward-to!
What else can I add to this Kiwi Orange Salad?
- Add a different fruit, like fresh pineapple cubes.
- Add some crunch with mild-flavoured grated kohlrabi or jicama.
- Toss in some Caramel Spiced Pecans, or Maple-Glazed Walnuts to add protein.
- Add a handful of leafy greens like watercress or butter lettuce leaves.
- Make it your own!
- Best of all, drizzle this holiday salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing just before serving time!
Tips for making Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad
You don't have to peel the kiwifruit if you don't want to, unless the skin of the kiwi you have is tough. It's an excellent source of fiber. Organic kiwi fruit is often available. Wash and wipe the skin first to remove any little hairy bits.
Removing the pith from orange segments can sometimes be difficult. Soaking the segments in cool water for a few minutes helps a bit. While removing it makes the oranges look more appetizing, the pith is also full of fiber and flavonoids which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Seek organic oranges when possible.
To prevent browning, add the avocado cubes just before serving.
How long will the Avocado Dressing stay fresh?
The Creamy Avocado Dressing does NOT go brown, as it contains lime juice. It will keep its beautiful colour for days when stored covered in the fridge.
How to cut Kiwi Flowers for garnish
This video makes cutting a kiwi into a flower shape so easy!
And if you love salads with oranges and pomegranates, you'll love this Pomegranate Mandarin Salad with Avocado and Feta. Shaped like a holiday wreath, it's a fun salad to serve at a holiday dinner.
Kiwi Mandarin Spinach Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 4 cups washed spinach leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 kiwi fruit
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned
- ½ large avocado* peeled, pit removed and cubed. *save the other half for the avocado dressing
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
Creamy Avocado Dressing:
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro
- ½ large avocado*
- 1 tbsp lime juice from ½ lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- pinch sea salt
- Cut 2 kiwi fruit into kiwi flowers, if desired. Slice remaining 2 kiwi fruit, peel if desired, but it's not necessary unless the skin is tough.
- Add washed and dried spinach leaves to a large shallow bowl or rimmed platter. Arrange kiwi fruit, orange sections, avocado and pomegranate arils on top.
- Blend avocado dressing ingredients together in a food processor, drizzle on salad and serve.
More healthy salad inspiration!
- Watermelon Radish and Satsuma Spinach Salad
- Winter Citrus Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese
- 8 Fresh Spring Salads to Brighten Any Meal
- 6 Dinner Salads that Will Fill you Up
- Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Pecans
Kitchen Items I use:
I used a French White Quiche dish to serve this salad but any large rimmed platter or shallow bowl will work.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.