Make individual servings of this naturally sweet, Mason Jar Peach Crisp to take along on your next picnic or camping trip. Perfect for your lunch bag, too.
It’s camping and picnicking season and we’ve had an unusually long stretch of it here this year. I have to remind myself that just because we’re in the woods, near a lake, or out on the ocean is no reason to give up our healthy clean-eating habits. And just because we’re camping is no reason to have to give up . . . dessert!
We’re boat campers. We love to go out on the ocean and find quiet coves or secluded beaches to picnic for the day or anchor for the night. There is no better way to fall asleep than with the sound of the waves lapping against the hull, an occasional splash from a seal, or a call from a gull. The islands near our home offer lots of opportunities for day hikes, swimming, crabbing, prawning, beachcombing, and even whale-watching on a lucky day.
I keep our boat camping meals simple so we can spend time exploring trails and enjoying beaches. This Mason Jar Peach Crisp makes an ideal camping dessert. It’s a healthy treat that doesn’t require graham wafers, marshmallows, chocolate or a fire! Before our last trip, I made several jars, packed what we would need, and put the rest in the freezer for another trip.
Finding meals that can be made in advance, that pack well and don’t take up a lot of room can sometimes be challenging. Recipes with marinades work well. I prepare the marinade, put the meat in a ziplok bag, add the marinade and freeze it flat.
This Easy Baked Thai Chicken and this Chipotle Peach Glazed Chicken are two options that we’ve taken camping lately. I use boneless chicken which will cook quickly on a grill.
Peaches are on the “Dirty Dozen” list so you may want to choose organic peaches if you can find them or if you don’t grow your own. Check your farmer’s market or local farm stands, but hurry! They’ll be a distant summer memory soon. And if you miss them, try this Mason Jar Peach Crisp recipe with other fruit or berries instead. Blackberry Crisp is just as delicious.
- 6 cups peaches, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch, or 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 inch knob of ginger, finely grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup oat flour (grind rolled oats, use gluten-free oats if necessary)
- 11/2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel peaches, remove stone, slice and chop.
- In a large bowl, toss with tapioca starch, honey, ginger and lemon juice.
- Combine the crisp topping ingredients in a food processor, pulsing to mix evenly.
- Fill 1/2 cup Mason jars three-quarters full with the peach mixture, then add the topping.
- Place filled jars on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (as the juice will likely bubble over) and bake for 28 - 30 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and crisp topping is golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Let’s connect! Like my Facebook page. Follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram. Thanks for stopping by!
If you make one of these recipes, be sure to snap a pic, Instagram it and hashtag it #flavourandsavour. I’d love to see what you make!