These Mini Cherry Almond Cheese Balls make a quick and easy appetizer that’s fun to eat! Great for tailgate parties.
A creamy bite on a stick! Sweet dried cherries and robust blue cheese flavour these Mini Cherry Almond Cheese Balls. They’re rolled in crunchy toasted almonds, they’re skewered with a salty pretzel stick and they need to make an appearance at your next get-together. Did I mention just how easy these are to make?
This recipe is a riff on my Mini Cheese Balls on a Stick and these Mini Goat Cheese Balls that I’ve made more times than I can count. They are always scooped up from the appetizer platter, not only because they’re so darn cute, but because they give such a surprise when you bite into one. They’re just so tasty! I changed my original recipe slightly by using two of my favourite flavours–cherries and almonds. Sweet dried cherries and sharp blue cheese provide the ying and yang that we all seem to crave.
Toast and crush some almonds, mix the remaining ingredients in a food processor, roll into tiny balls and coat with the roasted nuts. Just before serving, insert a pretzel stick and watch them disappear.
I thoroughly enjoy making finger foods. They’re fun to create, they’re fun to plate, and most of all they’re fun to eat. But preparing to host an appetizer party can turn from fun to frenzy if I’m trying to do everything at the last minute. I try to make sure that some of the recipes I choose can be made in advance, so I’m not rushing around. These mini cherry almond cheese balls can be made a day or two ahead of time. Just seal and refrigerate in an airtight container and skewer the little guys with a pretzel stick (regular or gluten-free) at serving time.
Mini Cherry Almond Cheese Balls on a Pretzel Stick
- 1 8 oz package (brick) light cream cheese
- 3 oz crumbled blue cheese, or other strong cheese of your choice (3/4 cup)
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- approximately 24 pretzel sticks, (use gluten-free pretzel sticks if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 7-10 minutes, just until fragrant. Allow to cool, then chop finely in a food processor.
- Line a baking sheet
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and put in a food processor bowl. Process until smooth.
- Add the cherries and pulse just until they are slightly chopped. Add the blue cheese and pulse briefly. If you process it too long the cheese mixture will take on an unappetizing blue tinge.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dampen your fingers and roll balls of the cheese mixture about ¾ in diameter. They should be small enough for a single bite. Roll in the chopped almonds and place on the parchment paper. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Just before serving, insert a pretzel stick in the middle of each ball. If you insert it too early, it will turn soggy.
Kitchen Items I used to make these Mini Cherry Almond Cheese Balls on a Pretzel Stick
If you like making easy finger foods, you might also like these Fresh Veggie Zucchini Roll-Ups.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Like this recipe? Please pin it or share it! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe.