Brighten up any winter day with this sunshiny Orange and Avocado Salad garnished with crunchy Parmesan crisps.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Orange and Avocado Salad with Parmesan Crisps is everything a salad should be. It’s sweet, it’s salty, it’s pungent, it’s crispy and it’s fresh. And on these cloudy winter days, those Cara Cara oranges bring sunshine right to your dinner table.
Have you tried Cara Cara oranges yet? I discovered them a year ago, when I made this Kale and Cara Cara Orange Salad. They’re considered specialty produce, and they are usually only available until April, so you need to grab them quick before they’re gone. They cost a little more than navel oranges, but they’re worth it. No seeds. None. Seedless oranges with a beautiful rosy-orange colour. Sweet and juicy. Just perfect.
I have several salad recipes on this site, but I truly think this is my very favourite. I’m not sure what makes it so popular around here. Maybe it’s those creamy avocados, maybe it’s the contrast in textures, I’m not sure, but this salad is a winner. Adding avocado to a salad, either sliced, chopped or in a dressing is always a good idea, in my opinion! 15 Avocado Recipes for Avocado Lovers has more salad ideas you may like, too.
Let’s talk about these Parmesan crisps. I’ve yet to meet anyone who could stop at just one of these little cheesy bites. They’re incredibly simple to make and they add a crowning touch to any salad.
Swing over to my post on Easiest Ever Parmesan Crisps for quick and easy instructions to make these. Make lots, and tuck them in among the salad greens just before serving. This salad can be a side salad or the base for a meal when you add grilled chicken or shrimp.
We’re all needing something to brighten up our days until it starts to feel like spring. Sweet Cara Cara oranges, creamy avocados, fennel and red onion on a bed of fresh greens, garnished with crunchy Parmesan crisps: this Orange and Avocado Salad might be just what you need. This salad goes well with this Easy Italian Chicken with Balsamic and Herbs.
Sweet Cara Cara oranges, creamy avocados, fennel and red onion on a bed of fresh greens, garnished with crunchy Parmesan crisps.
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled and sliced, or navel
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 parmesan crisps (see link to recipe below)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (or regular lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 small shallot, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper
- Whisk together Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients and set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Prepare Easiest Ever Parmesan Crisps
- Toss salad with Citrus Vinaigrette just before serving. Garnish with Parmesan Crisps and serve immediately.