Brighten up any winter day with this sunshiny Orange and Avocado Salad. It's made with sweet Cara Cara oranges, creamy avocados, fennel and red onion on a bed of fresh greens, garnished with crunchy Parmesan crisps.
This Orange and Avocado Salad with Parmesan Crisps is everything a salad should be. It's sweet, it's salty, it's pungent, it's crispy and it's fresh.
And on cloudy winter days, Cara Cara oranges bring sunshine right to your dinner table. This spinach salad with oranges is a healthy addition to any meal.
Have you tried Cara Cara oranges? They're considered specialty produce, and they are usually only available until April, so you need to grab them quick before they're gone.
They cost a little more than navel oranges, but they're worth it. No seeds. None. They're seedless oranges with a beautiful rosy-orange colour. Sweet and juicy. Just perfect.
I have several salad recipes on this site, but this is one of my favorites. I'm not sure what makes it so popular in my home. Maybe it's the creamy avocados, maybe it's the contrast in textures, I'm not sure, but this salad is a winner.
Adding avocado to a salad, either sliced, chopped or in a dressing is always a good idea, in my opinion!
To make this Orange and Avocado Salad you will need
- spinach or other mixed greens
- Cara Cara oranges
- red onion
- Parmesan crisps, homemade or store-bought.
Let's talk about these Parmesan crisps. I've yet to meet anyone who could stop at just one of these little cheesy bites. While you can buy them, they're incredibly simple to make. They add a crowning touch to any salad.
Swing over to my post on Easiest Ever Parmesan Crisps for quick and easy instructions to make these cheese crisps. Make lots, and tuck them in among the salad greens just before serving. This salad can be a side salad or the base for a meal when you add grilled chicken or shrimp.
We all need something to brighten up our days until it starts to feel like spring.
Sweet Cara Cara oranges, creamy avocados, fennel, and red onion on a bed of fresh greens, garnished with crunchy Parmesan crisps: this Orange and Avocado Salad might be just what you need.
Orange and Avocado Salad with Parmesan Crisps
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 medium Cara Cara oranges, peeled and sliced, or navel
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 medium avocado, sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 parmesan crisps (see link to recipe below)
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (or regular lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ small shallot, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- Whisk together Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients and set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Prepare Easiest Ever Parmesan Crisps
- Toss salad with Citrus Vinaigrette just before serving. Garnish with Parmesan Crisps and serve immediately.