Celebrate Spring with this Mason Jar Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp with Crunchy Pecan Crumble. It's a paleo dessert made with warm, sweet fruit and a crunchy topping.
Fruit crisps or crumbles are welcome at any time of the year. We crave apple crisp in the fall, and use fresh-picked fruit to make blueberry crisp or peach crisp in the summer. But this Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp is my new favourite crisp for spring time.
I wanted to make a grain-free crisp, but I've had trouble finding a topping that's crunchy enough for my liking without using oats.
I considered just using a variety of nuts, but then I found myself taking coconut out of my pantry, and this paleo Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp with Crunchy Pecan Crumble was born.
I combined finely chopped pecans, almond flour and coconut and sweetened it with coconut sugar for extra crunch. Coconut oil replaced the traditional butter and it worked perfectly. There is something about the combination of raspberries and coconut that just works, like in this paleo Raspberry Coconut Parfait.
I baked some of it in half-cup Mason Jars to tuck away in the freezer for camping trips and cooked the rest in mini cast iron skillets, strictly for the cuteness factor. Warm rhubarb raspberry crisp with a dollop or two of coconut milk ice cream made a scrumptious dessert.
This is "a keeper!"
Try these other fruit crisp recipes, too!
- Pineapple Rhubarb Crisp with Ginger
- Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Bourbon Sauce
- Blueberry Limoncello Crisp
- Peach Crisp with Bourbon and Vanilla
- Mason Jar Peach Crisp
Rhubarb Raspberry Crisp with Crunchy Pecan Crumble - Paleo
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 4 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch, if not on a paleo diet
- 1/2 cup honey
Crunchy Pecan Crumble
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, or brown sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped rhubarb, raspberries, arrowroot powder or cornstarch and honey.
- Chop pecans and transfer to a medium bowl, Combine with almond flour, coconut and coconut palm sugar and toss with melted coconut oil until mixture begins to stick together and is crumbly.
- Fill 1/2 cup Mason jars to within 3/4 inch of the top, then press the Crunchy Pecan Crumble on top of each.
- Place jars on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 22- 25 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and crumble topping is lightly browned.
- Remove and let cool before serving. Top with ice cream if desired, but it's delicious without it, too.
More Mason Jar inspiration!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.