Meal prep your breakfasts for the week! Make these Creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Overnight Oats the night before and wake up to a nutritious breakfast! Made with rhubarb compote, these will last for 4 - 5 days!
Overnight oatmeal, oatmeal in a jar, Mason jar oatmeal, refrigerator oats, no-cook oatmeal: no matter what you want to call it, this recipe is a great way to make sure you're getting a nutritious breakfast on those days when you're feeling rushed.
Do you think about breakfast when you head to bed at night, like I do? This week, I've been eagerly anticipating these little jars of smooth and creamy, naturally sweetened oatmeal ready and waiting for me first thing in the morning!
❤️ Why you'll love these overnight oats
- These Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Overnight Oats are a cheerful way to start your day.
- No effort required, and they're just so pretty!
- Having prepared breakfast the night before makes for stress-free mornings.
- Soaking oats helps to soften them, making them digestible.
- No cooking required!
🗒 More Overnight Oats Recipes
I have several recipes for overnight oats, because they're just that good! Besides this recipe made with strawberries, you might like these ones too:
- rolled oats, (old-fashioned oats) certified gluten-free, if necessary
- Greek yogurt or milk kefir, or use vegan yogurt
- milk of your choice, dairy or plant-based
- chia seeds: these help to thicken the oats.
- maple syrup or agave syrup or honey
- rhubarb compote (see below)
- fresh strawberries for garnish
- To make this healthy make-ahead breakfast, measure rolled oats into 8-ounce Mason jars, jars with hinged lids, or dessert glasses.
- Add probiotic-rich Greek yogurt or thick kefir and your choice of milk, dairy or plant-based.
- Add protein-rich chia seeds, then stir in a little maple syrup.
- Top it all off with strawberry rhubarb compote.
- Cover and let tomorrow’s breakfast work its magic in the fridge overnight.
The chia seeds will soften, making them easy to digest. In the morning, you’ll have sweet, creamy delicately pink oatmeal!
You can either eat it cold, straight from the jar, or pour it into a bowl and heat in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove. Garnish with fresh strawberries, an extra dollop of Greek yogurt or a spoonful of crunchy granola.
Make a double batch of this oatmeal in a jar recipe and have breakfast ready for the week!
More Ways to use Rhubarb Compote (Stewed Rhubarb)
When you think of strawberry-rhubarb, does strawberry rhubarb crumble pie or strawberry-rhubarb crisp come to mind? While those may be the most common ways to enjoy this favourite flavour combination, there are so many more recipes to try!
When you make a batch of rhubarb compote, also called stewed rhubarb, you can use it in several other recipes besides this one:
Make it vegan! Substitute coconut milk yogurt and use a plant-based milk.
Use gluten-free oats. While oats are naturally gluten-free, if they are processed in a facility that also processes other grains, there is a danger of cross-contamination. If you have celiac disease, you might choose to purchase certified gluten-free oats which are processed in a dedicated and certified gluten-free oat mill.
How long will strawberry-rhubarb overnight oats last?
Overnight oats will still be delicious after 3 to 5 days!
Love rhubarb? Try these recipes: 10 Ways to Use Rhubarb that Aren't Pie.
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
This recipe was originally published in 2018. It has been updated with new photos and extra informaton.
Creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Overnight Oats
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- ⅓ cup water, or orange juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup, or honey
- ½ cup strawberries, finely chopped
- Add ¼ cup rolled oats to each of 2 jars. Top each with ¼ cup Greek yogurt (or milk kefir), ¼ cup milk of your choice, 1 ½ teaspoon chia seeds, and 2 tablespoon rhubarb compote. Stir.
- Top with remaining rhubarb compote. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Eat straight from the jar, or transfer to a bowl and heat in the microwave. Garnish with fresh strawberries, a dollop of yogurt and a spoonful of granola, if desired.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- Stir chopped rhubarb, water and maple syrup (or honey) in a large non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat. Mash, or use an immersion blender or pulse in a food processor to purée the rhubarb. Add the finely chopped strawberries. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Note: you only need ½ cup of this compote to make overnight oats. Use the remainder in this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Smoothie, Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake, Rhubarb Bellini Prosecco Cocktail, or in this Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Breakfast Parfait.