Savour the delicious flavours of classic Strawberry Rhubarb pie in a healthy Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie. This recipe uses fresh or frozen strawberries and banana and your choice of rhubarb compote or raw rhubarb. This rhubarb smoothie makes a quick vegan breakfast or post-workout snack.
Start your day with this naturally sweetened Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie! Full of nutritious rhubarb, fresh strawberries, banana, plant-based milk and chia seeds, it's a cheerful, healthy breakfast smoothie or shake.
When your garden or your farmer's market is overflowing with rhubarb, this smoothie is a great way to use it up. I also love making these gluten-free Rhubarb Streusel Muffins for breakfast in rhubarb season!
❤️Why you'll love this smoothie recipe
- It's quick and easy to make in a blender.
- You can make it year round with frozen rhubarb and strawberries.
- It's made without refined sugar.
- Full of Vitamin C, it's a healthy way to start the day.
- It has the most cheerful pink colour!
So let's get started. This strawberry rhubarb smoothie recipe has been a favourite with my readers for several years. I've updated this post, adding new information and photos to make it more helpful to you.
strawberries: fresh or frozen
rhubarb: the best way to make this smoothie is to use rhubarb compote, also called stewed rhubarb or rhubarb sauce. Compote is quick and easy to make and great to have a jar in the fridge to use in other recipes. You'll find the recipe and more ideas for ways to use it below.
However, you can certainly use fresh or frozen raw rhubarb in this recipe. See my notes in the recipe card about adding a little extra sweetener if you choose to use raw rhubarb.
banana: use a fresh or frozen banana, the riper the better!
almond milk: or any other plant-based milk
chia seeds: these add extra protein and help to thicken this smoothie.
🔪 How to make this smoothie
If you plan to make this smoothie using rhubarb compote, make the compote first. You'll find the easy instructions below.
To make the strawberry rhubarb pie smoothie, pour your favourite plant-based milk into a blender container and add ½ cup of rhubarb compote, half a banana, and some strawberries. Toss in some chia seeds for protein, add a few ice cubes and blend away!
How to make rhubarb compote
Stewed rhubarb is quick and easy to make on the stovetop.
Combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb with ⅓ cup water and ¼ cup maple syrup or honey in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
This recipe makes two cups. Store it in the refrigerator or freeze it for up to 6 months. You'll only need ½ cup for this smoothie, so you can use the remainder to top a bowl of ice cream or use it in any of the following recipes.
- If you use raw rhubarb instead of rhubarb compote, you may want to add a tablespoon or so of sweetener. Use your choice of maple syrup, honey, or 0-calorie monkfruit sweetener.
- You won't have to add ice if you use frozen strawberries and banana, but you may want to add a little water or extra milk to thin it out.
- If you're using a regular blender, be sure to add the milk first so the fruit doesn't get stuck around the blade.
- It's helpful to keep a jar of stewed rhubarb, (rhubarb compote) in the fridge so you can make this recipe in less than 5 minutes!
- Refined sugar is not necessary in this recipe. The natural sweeteners work equally well. Using very ripe bananas and strawberries in your smoothie guarantees a sweet result too.
❓Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The stalks are nutritious and are a good source of Vitamin C which helps your body absorb iron. The leaves, however, are very toxic. If you're buying rhubarb in a grocery store, the leaves will be removed.
If you're harvesting it from your own garden, cut the leaves off, compost them and make sure they're kept away from your pets.
The first sign that Spring is really here is the sight of tiny rhubarb shoots poking through the soil in my garden. And once those start to grow, I'm gathering up my rhubarb recipes, ready to get busy as soon as the stalks are big enough to cut.
Spring doesn't seem like Spring without making this Gran Marnier Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp at least once or twice. And having a gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie or a Strawberry Rhubarb Galette fresh from the oven is always a treat!
But beginning the day with this nutrition-packed strawberry rhubarb smoothie is a sure sign that Spring is here!
When you make this strawberry rhubarb smoothie, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance!
Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
📖 Recipe Card
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Smoothie
- ½ cup rhubarb compote, or chopped rhubarb*, fresh or frozen
- ½ large banana, very ripe
- ½ cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 4 ice cubes
- First, make the rhubarb compote (also known as stewed rhubarb.) Combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb with ⅓ cup water and ¼ cup maple syrup or honey in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Makes 2 cups. Store in the refrigerator or freeze for up to 6 months.
- To make the smoothie, blend ½ cup of the cooled stewed rhubarb with the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Garnish with a fresh strawberry or two.