This skinny strawberry rhubarb parfait could be a dessert, or it could be a healthy breakfast! Layer your choice of yogurt with rhubarb compote and fresh strawberries.
Paired with strawberries, rhubarb shines in this Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait.
This is a recipe that you can easily adapt. Use your favourite yogurt, as there are so many choices available now: full-fat, low-fat, 0-fat, Greek, or dairy-free cultured milks like almond or coconut. Choose your sweetener, or leave it out.
This parfait recipe has very little sweetener as the natural sweetness of strawberries is really all you need. It's sweet enough for dessert, and it's healthy enough for breakfast. Add a little granola on top if you want a more substantial breakfast.
Do you remember that shy girl in school who always depended on friends to draw her into a crowd? The one who wouldn't venture out if she didn't have someone stuck close by? Didn't like being on her own?
That girl is how I view rhubarb. It's nice, it's interesting, it's even strangely beautiful, but it really doesn't like to stand alone. Rhubarb needs strawberries or pineapple or ginger or even vanilla to really bring out the best in it.
And when it gets the right companion, it's absolutely awesome. Believe me: pair it with mint and make this amazing Rhubarb Mint Mojito.
I started eating more rhubarb, and growing my own, as soon as I learned it was a good source of calcium. I like to have some rhubarb compote stored in the refrigerator so I can use it in other recipes, like this Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie or this Rhubarb Bellini Prosecco Cocktail. It's easy to make.
How to make rhubarb compote, also called stewed rhubarb
To make rhubarb compote, put 4 cups chopped rhubarb stalks in a medium pot with 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. Store in refrigerator.
So next time, you spot rhubarb in your farmer's market, don't pass it up. Fill a bag with fresh stalks, find a soul mate like strawberries to enhance it and create this Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait to begin . . . or end your day.
Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait
- 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt or cultured coconut milk or yogurt of your choice
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 cup rhubarb compote, see instructions below
- 2 strawberries, sliced thinly
- To make rhubarb compote, put 4 cups chopped rhubarb stalks in a medium pot with 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. Store in refrigerator.
- To make a parfait, mix yogurt with honey or maple syrup (optional). Spoon a little into a glass jar or serving glass. add layers of rhubarb compote and freshly sliced strawberries. Repeat layers.
- Garnish with a drizzle of honey, or a curl of rhubarb and chill or serve immediately.
Are you a rhubarb fan? You might like these recipes, too.
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie
Rhubarb Bellini Prosecco Cocktail
Charred Rhubarb No-Bake Cheesecake
Rhubarb Mint Mojito
Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa