All the delicious flavours of Strawberry-Rhubarb pie in a healthy Strawberry-Rhubarb Smoothie. This vegan strawberry-rhubarb shake makes a quick breakfast or post-workout snack.
Starting off today with a naturally sweetened Strawberry-Rhubarb Smoothie! Full of stewed rhubarb, fresh strawberries, banana, almond milk and chia, it's a cheerful, healthy breakfast shake.
The first sign that Spring is really here is the sight of tiny rhubarb shoots poking through the soil in my garden. And once those start to grow, I'm gathering up my rhubarb recipes, ready to get busy as soon as the stalks are big enough to cut.
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie makes a quick healthy breakfast
When you think about it, it's odd that we eat this plant. First, rhubarb stalks are sour and secondly, the leaves are poisonous. But we do, and I crave it once I've used all that I had frozen from the previous year.
Spring isn't Spring without making this Gran Marnier Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp at least once or twice. And having a gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie or a Strawberry Rhubarb Galette in the oven is always a treat!
So let's get started. This recipe has been a favourite with my readers for several years. I've updated this post, adding new information and photos to make it more helpful to you.
Ingredients for Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie
stewed rhubarb: also called rhubarb compote. You'll find the recipe below.
banana: use fresh or frozen
strawberries: use fresh or frozen
almond milk: or other plant-based milk
chia seeds: for extra protein
How to make rhubarb compote or stewed rhubarb
Combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb with ⅓ cup water and ¼ cup maple syrup or honey in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. This recipe will make two cups. Store in the refrigerator until you're ready to use it in this smoothie recipe or to serve over a slice of cake or ice cream.
An easy smoothie recipe
I keep a jar of stewed rhubarb, also known as rhubarb compote, in the fridge so I can make this vegan smoothie recipe in less than 5 minutes.
Refined sugar is not necessary in this recipe. The natural sweeteners work equally well. Using very ripe bananas and strawberries in your smoothie guarantees a sweet result too.
Pour your favourite plant-based milk to a blender container and add ½ cup of rhubarb compote, half a banana, and some strawberries. Toss in some chia seeds for protein and add a few ice cubes. Start your day with this nutrition-packed strawberry rhubarb smoothie!
Are you a rhubarb fan?
Love rhubarb, too? Here are a few more of my favourite ways to use it.
- Pineapple Rhubarb Crisp with Ginger
- Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Overnight Oats
- Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait with Yogurt
- Rhubarb Bellini Prosecco Cocktail
- Charred Rhubarb No-Bake Cheesecake
- Rhubarb Mint Mojito
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie
- ½ cup rhubarb compote, made with ¼ cup maple syrup or honey, see directions below
- ½ banana, very ripe
- ½ cup strawberries or more, to taste, sliced
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 4 ice cubes
- First, make the stewed rhubarb. Combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb with ⅓ cup water and ¼ cup maple syrup or honey in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Makes 2 cups. Store in the refrigerator.
- Blend ½ cup of the cooled stewed rhubarb with the remaining ingredients in a blender and serve.