This healthy Southwestern Salad is perfect for potlucks, as a side dish or for lunch! It's a vegan Tomato Avocado Black Bean Salad tossed with a tangy cilantro lime dressing.
Search no further than this Tomato Avocado Black Bean Salad recipe if you're looking for a nutritious salad that packs a punch of flavour! Tossed with a tangy cilantro-lime dressing, this refreshing salad is bursting with vibrant colours.
Wondering what to do with too many summer tomatoes and cucumbers? This Southwestern salad is a great way to use up that summer produce ripening in your garden or overflowing farm market stands. It's crispy, crunchy and creamy all at the same time!
If you're avoiding corn in your diet, this fresh veggie salad is for you! While a traditional Southwestern Black Bean Salad includes corn, this one does not. This salad is perfect for summer parties and potlucks, but it also stands up well as a make-ahead lunch, if you add the avocado just before serving.
Check your fridge and pantry to see if you have everything you'll need to make this vegan Southwestern Tomato Avocado Salad!
Ingredients for Tomato Avocado Black Bean Salad
- tomatoes: I used yellow tomatoes because I had a surplus in my garden. Any colour will do. Cherry tomatoes will work well, too.
- cucumber: for that crisp crunch! Garden cucumbers may need peeling, English cukes don't. Split the cucumber down the center and remove the seeds. A teaspoon works well for this job.
- bell pepper: I used a red one, as I didn't use red tomatoes, but feel free to choose any colour.
- avocado: add just before serving, or serve on the side as it will discolour and soften before the other veggies do.
- black beans: canned, rinsed and drained. Half a can is all you'll need, but feel free to add more if you love them!
- red onion: soak slices for a few minutes to remove the strong flavour
- cilantro leaves : just 1/4 cup or so
- olive oil: extra virgin
- white wine vinegar
- chili powder
This Southwestern Tomato Salad takes only 20 minutes to make
- Chop the veggies (except for the avocado) and arrange in a salad bowl.
- Drain and rinse black beans and add to the salad.
- Combine the dressing ingredients.
- Serving a large group? Double the recipe, make it up to 6 hours ahead of time, cover and refrigerate.
- Add the avocado to the salad just before serving to prevent browning.
- Toss with the cilantro lime dressing and serve!
What to do with leftover salad
- Fill a taco or tortilla or lettuce wrap with leftover salad and top it with this Keto Dairy-Free Avocado Crema
- Serve it on top of crispy romaine lettuce.
- Fill a Mason Jar and take it to work for a nutritious lunch (take the avocado separately.)
This salad recipe is totally customizable.
- Don't like cilantro? Leave it out, or sub in parsley instead.
- Not a fan of black beans? Kidney beans or chickpeas are delicious in this salad, too.
- Red onion too spicy? Soak it in water for a few minutes while you're preparing the other veggies. Or use milder green onions, instead.
- Good with a sprinkling of feta cheese, too!
What to serve with this Southwestern Tomato Avocado Salad with Black Beans
Serve this Tomato Avocado Salad as a side dish with grilled chicken or:
- 4 Ingredient Honey-Lime Chili Chicken Thighs
- Easy Honey Chili Lime Glazed Salmon
- Chicken Fajita Burgers
Tomato Avocado Black Bean Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped, or 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and sliced
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 14 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed from one lime
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- Chop the veggies, leaving the avocado until last.
- Drain the black beans, rinse thoroughly.
- Combine the vegetables and beans in a salad bowl.
- Add chopped or sliced avocado just before serving.
- Combine Cilantro Lime dressing ingredients, check the seasoning, then toss with dressing, and serve.
Need more summer salad ideas?
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil, Capers and Feta
- Rustic Tomato Salad
- Summer Veggie Pasta Salad with Feta Dressing
- Garden Fresh Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Avocado Grilled Peach and Chipotle Shrimp Salad
- 4 Quick and Easy Ways to Use Tomatoes