This Asian Pear Slaw is a little crunchy, a little sweet, and a little spicy! It's a Thai-style coleslaw that pairs well with any Thai or Asian dish. It's naturally sweet and gently seasoned with ginger and lime. Vegan, Paleo and Whole30 compliant.
What to serve alongside Thai dishes? This Asian Pear Slaw with Ginger and Lime is a perfect choice!
Wondering what to do with Asian pears? So was I!
With a couple of Asian pears (also known as apple pears) in the fridge and plans to make spicy Bangkok Thai Crab Cakes, I thought a simple, sweet and spicy Asian pear salad would be an ideal accompaniment.
And I was right. This Thai-style coleslaw added a touch of light sweetness to balance the spicy dip that I served with the crab cakes.
What are Asian Pears?
Asian pears, also known as Apple Pears, Chinese Pears or Korean Pears, are sweet and crisp. They're round, not pear-shaped. Their skins are sometimes a little tough, so I peel them to make this simple tasty Asian-style slaw.
They're available as imported fruit in stores, but they also grow locally later in the year. If you're lucky to have a friend with a tree, beg a few.
They're absolutely delicious, and they add natural sweetness and a crisp texture to this slaw.
Looking for more Asian pear recipes? You'll also love this Asian Pear and Cranberry Chopped Salad.
- celery: 2 stalks
- Asian pears: if you can't find them, use a firm winter pear, like D'Anjou
- cilantro: use parsley if you don't like cilantro
- green onions
- fresh ginger
- lime juice: freshly squeezed is always best
- rice vinegar
- Thai chili pepper: just a hint
Use a julienne tool if you have one to make this Thai-inspired pear coleslaw. If not, you could grate the Asian pear and the celery or cut them with a sharp knife into fine match sticks.
Whisk together the ginger, lime juice and rice vinegar and toss with the remaining ingredients. If you don't like cilantro, you could substitute fresh parsley.
Very simple. Very good.
❓Questions from Readers
When picking out the best Asian pears, look for those that
have a sweet scent, are firm, have no bruises and have a smooth skin. Depending on the variety, the colour may vary from light yellow to russet brown!
🍽 What to serve with this Asian pear recipe
Try this simple Asian Pear Slaw with any of these spicy dishes!
- Ginger Garlic Glazed Korean Chicken Skewers
- Asian Glazed Garlic Chicken
- Healthy Open Face Thai Chicken Burgers
- Easy Thai Chicken Skewers
- Easy Thai Baked Chicken
- Spicy Thai Wings
- Bangkok Crab Cakes with Spicy Thai Dip
🗒 More healthy coleslaw recipes
If you like coleslaw, try these recipes, too:
When you make this Asian pear slaw, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance.
Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Asian Pear Slaw with Ginger and Lime
- 2 large stalks celery, julienned
- 2 large Asian pears, (about 3 inches in diameter) peeled and julienned, (also called apple pears)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, (scallions)
- ½ inch knob fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Thai chili pepper, very finely chopped (optional)
- Whisk together the ginger, lime juice and rice vinegar, then toss with the remaining ingredients. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
This post was originally published in 2017. It has been immensely popular, so I've updated it and bumped it up!