This Easy Thai Baked Chicken is a simple make-ahead meal to pop in the freezer for a busy day. It’s a slightly spicy Thai chicken recipe that leaves you wanting more! Paleo-friendly.
Don’t you just love the complex tastes of Thai food? Thai recipes usually contain ingredients that are sour, sweet, salty, bitter and spicy. The marinade for this easy Thai Baked Chicken blends and balances those flavours harmoniously. Cilantro, jalapeño, ginger, basil, garlic and coriander all play together to produce this aromatic, slightly spicy chicken dish that leaves you wanting more.
As much I love Thai dishes, I also love easy meals. Especially ones that I can make ahead and have in the freezer, ready to grab for a quick dinner on a busy day. This recipe also makes a great meal to take camping as it can easily be grilled instead of baked. It’s suitable for those on a paleo diet, too!
Ingredients to Make this Easy Thai Baked Chicken
You will need:
- chicken: boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- coconut milk: canned
- jalapeño: 1 large or 2 small
- coriander: dried
- ginger: fresh
- garlic: fresh
- brown sugar: or coconut sugar
Make the marinade and put it in a plastic zip closure bag with the chicken. Refrigerate for 2 hours (or up to 24 hours) before baking.
If you’re not planning to use it right away, lay it flat, freeze, and it will be ready for another day or to pack for a camping trip. Make some Thai Coconut Rice (which also freezes well) to go with it. Then all you’ll have to do is prepare a salad and veggies.
How easy is that?
Three simple steps to make this Easy Thai Baked Chicken
- Blend all marinade ingredients in your blender or food processor.
- Pour the marinade into a zipper closure bag with the chicken. Let it marinate.
- Bake it in the oven.
This chicken dish has consistently been one of the most popular recipes here on the blog. If you make this Easy Thai Baked Chicken recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Let me know in the comments section below, or snap a pic and post it on Instagram! Tag me @flavourandsavour . I love seeing what you make!
Easy Thai Baked Chicken
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or 12 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp oil (for skillet)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- 1 large or 2 small jalapeños, seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 inch slice of fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar, or coconut palm sugar
- 2 limes cut into wedges, for garnish
- Add marinade ingredients to food processor and purée until smooth.
- Arrange chicken parts in a single layer in a large freezer bag. Pour marinade over chicken, seal tightly or vacuum seal and massage the marinade into the chicken a bit. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours, or simply lay it flat in the freezer and freeze for another day.
- When ready to cook, thaw completely. The safest way to thaw is in the refrigerator overnight.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 375F. Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium to high heat. Add oil and wait until it ripples or shimmers. Add chicken pieces and sear on each side for 3-4 minutes, then place skillet in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Cover with foil and let stand on a platter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to grill it instead: Place chicken on medium-hot well-oiled grill. Turn when chicken has grill marks (approx. 5-6 min). Cook until internal temperature is 165 degrees at the thickest part (about 7-8 minutes).
- Sprinkle with more chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
More Thai Inspiration!
Need more make-ahead inspiration? Check this post on Three Easy Chicken Meals to Marinate, Freeze and Bake
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.