Here are five ways to serve this versatile 3-ingredient Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw. Mayo-free, this fresh, crisp coleslaw is dressed with a light apple cider and honey-Dijon vinaigrette.
When I found this Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw recipe in a past issue of Food Network magazine, I knew it was something we'd like. Crunchy red cabbage, tart Granny Smith apples and sun-ripened sweet green grapes make this slaw rich in Vitamin C and oh-so-tasty!
With a bumper crop of both green and red grapes, all from three young grapevines in our backyard, I've been faced with the task of finding different ways to use them.
This cabbage slaw with apples and grapes is not your old familiar coleslaw smothered in a mayonnaise dressing. It's crunchy, tart and sweet, all at the same time. It's dressed with a light apple cider and honey vinaigrette that adds the touch of sweetness needed to perfectly balance the flavours.
All you'll need to make this tasty red cabbage slaw are three main ingredients: red cabbage, a Granny Smith apple and green grapes. You'll toss it with a simple but simply delicious honey-mustard dressing.
And you'll never go back to a mayonnaise-based coleslaw again!
First, shred or finely slice red cabbage, either with a grater or a food processor.
Use a julienne tool or a sharp knife to thinly slice a Granny Smith apple.
Next, slice fresh green grapes in half.
And finally, toss this red cabbage slaw with an apple cider-based vinaigrette, then let stand to allow the flavours to blend. So tasty!
🍽 Serving suggestions
You can use this healthy, Vitamin-C rich slaw in so many ways!
- as a side dish to Open-Face Thai Chicken Burgers or Harissa Chicken Burgers, Chipotle Chicken Burgers or Crispy Baked Zucchini Patties
- as a filling for Shrimp Tacos or Shredded Chicken Tacos
- in wraps or sandwiches
- as a main dish salad, with the addition of shredded chicken
- as a topping for grilled meats or fish
This red cabbage slaw will stay crisp in the refrigerator for two to three days.
🗒 More Coleslaw Recipes
Try these other healthy coleslaw ideas, too.
Asian Pear Slaw with Ginger and Lime
Blue Cheese, Apple and Walnut Slaw with Greek Yogurt Dressing
Thai-Style Coleslaw with Kohlrabi
Cabbage Coleslaw with Sesame Miso Dressing
Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups green grapes, halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, julienne cut
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, oil and salt and pepper in a jar. Shake well.
- Combine cabbage, grapes and apple in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over the slaw and toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes and serve.
I adapted this recipe slightly from Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw in Food Network magazine, June 2016. This post has been updated with new information and photos.
Tasted great with fish tacos!
Flavour & Savour
Great idea! Glad you like it. Thanks for commenting!