Here are five ways to serve this versatile 3-ingredient Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw. Mayo-free, this fresh, crisp coleslaw is dressed with a light apple cider and honey vinaigrette.
When I found this Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw recipe in a past issue of Food Network magazine, I knew it was something we'd like. Crunchy red cabbage, tart Granny Smith apples and sun-ripened sweet green grapes make this slaw rich in Vitamin C and oh-so- tasty!
With a bumper crop of both green and red grapes, all from three young grapevines in our back yard, I've been faced with the task of finding different ways to use them.
This cabbage slaw with apples and grapes is not your old familiar coleslaw smothered in a mayonnaise dressing. It's crunchy, tart and sweet, all at the same time. It's dressed with a light apple cider and honey vinaigrette that adds just the touch of sweetness needed to perfectly balance the flavours.
All you'll need to make this tasty cabbage coleslaw are three main ingredients: red cabbage, apples and grapes. You'll toss it with a delicious honey-mustard dressing.
And you'll never go back to a mayonnaise based coleslaw again!
First, shred or finely slice red cabbage, either with a grater or a food processor.
Use a julienne tool or a sharp knife to thinly slice a Granny Smith apple.
Next, slice fresh green grapes in half. (My home-grown grapes were small, so I didn't slice them).
And finally, toss it all with an apple cider based vinaigrette, let stand to allow the flavours to blend and enjoy!
- as a side dish to Open-Face Thai Chicken Burgers or Harissa Chicken Burgers
- as a filling for Halibut Tacos or Shrimp Tacos
- in wraps or sandwiches
- as a main dish salad, with the addition of shredded chicken
- as a topping for grilled meats or fish
This slaw will stay crisp in the refrigerator for two to three days.
Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups green grapes, halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, julienne cut
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine cabbage, grapes and apple in a large bowl.
- Whisk vinegar, honey, mustard and oil in a jar. Shake well.
- Pour dressing over the slaw and toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes and serve.
I adapted this recipe slightly from Grape, Apple and Red Cabbage Slaw in Food Network magazine, June 2016.
More Coleslaw Recipes
Try these other coleslaw ideas, too