This tasty slow cooker sticky chicken is the easiest meal you'll make all week! Juicy slow cooker chicken thighs are simmered in an Asian-inspired sweet and salty sauce in your crock-pot.
These Crock-Pot Sticky Chicken Thighs are beyond good.
Get your napkins out and be ready to lick your fingers!
I'm always overjoyed when there are leftovers of this dish, knowing that I'll get to experience this near-nirvana state all over again. This crock pot chicken thighs recipe is so easy and so tasty.
❤️Why you'll love this recipe
- Ten minutes.
- One pot.
- No oil.
- No fussing.
- Super easy recipe!
You need to make this slow cooker Sticky Chicken thigh recipe. It's a little salty and a little sweet and a little hot and spicy. The meat falls off the bone and melts in your mouth. It has an Asian-glazed sauce you'll love. It's the easiest meal you'll make all week.
And if you're pressed for time, you can use my recipe for Instant Pot Sticky Chicken, ready in about half an hour!
Here's what you'll need to make this easy slow cooker recipe for chicken thighs. Just mix the sticky chicken marinade ingredients together, pour over the chicken thighs and let your slow cooker work its magic.
- chicken parts: I use chicken thighs because I find that thighs are better in the slow cooker than chicken breasts. Thighs have more flavour, and they don't dry out and get stringy when cooked for a long time. You could also use wings or legs (drumsticks).
- This recipe is written for bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. While some people shun chicken skin, it adds a lot of flavour and it keeps the meat from drying out. If you prefer to use boneless chicken thighs, this recipe works beautifully as well. You'll have to reduce the temperature and the cook time to avoid dry and stringy meat. See notes below for cooking time.
- Tamari soy sauce (or coconut aminos for paleo diet)
- balsamic vinegar: adds a necessary acid to balance the flavours.
- Sriracha sauce: or other hot sauce, or you can substitute dried red pepper flakes
- honey and coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- aromatics: garlic, ginger and onion
- Put the chicken thighs in your slow cooker.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low. If you're using boneless thighs, cook for 3 to 4 hours on Low.
- Just before serving, combine ¼ cup of the sauce with a little cornstarch. Stir it back into the slow cooker and cook for 10 - 15 minutes more, or until thickened and glossy.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs results in tender, juicy chicken. However, the skin will not become crispy in this slow cooker chicken recipe. If this bothers you, simply remove the skin before eating.
You could also add an extra step to this recipe and brown the chicken parts in a skillet on the stovetop before adding to the slow cooker to help crisp the skin.
As mentioned above, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. However, you'll have to reduce the cook time to 3 - 4 hours on Low.
🍽 Serving suggestions
This Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken is delicious over rice or pasta, or even mashed potatoes. If you'd like, you can serve it with stir-fried vegetables, or with a side of baby bok choy, broccoli, or this Easy 5-minute Sesame Asparagus.
This post was originally published in 2014. It has been updated with new information to make it more helpful to you.
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
📖 Recipe Card
Crock Pot Sticky Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on (about 12 thighs)
- ⅓ cup tamari soy sauce, or coconut aminos for paleo diet
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ inch knob fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger,
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 2-4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- fresh cilantro, sesame seeds
- Put fresh or thawed chicken thighs in slow cooker.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except the cornstarch, water, and garnish.
- Pour over chicken thighs, turning to coat all pieces.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook 3-4 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low. Note: if using boneless thighs, cook 3 to 4 hours on Low.
- When cooked through and tender, mix the cornstarch with the water and a little of the sauce. Pour over the chicken, stir and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes until thickened.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.