This tasty slow cooker sticky chicken is the easiest meal you'll make all week! Juicy slow cooker chicken thighs are simmered in an Asian-inspired sweet and salty sauce in your crock-pot. A simple one-pan meal with amazing flavours!
These Crock-Pot Sticky Chicken Thighs are beyond good.
Get your napkins out and be ready to lick your fingers with one of my favourite slow cooker recipes!
I'm always overjoyed when there are leftovers of this dish, knowing that I'll get to experience this near-nirvana state all over again. This crockpot chicken thighs recipe is so easy and so tasty.
❤️Why you'll love this crockpot chicken recipe
- Ten minutes to prepare.
- One pot.
- No oil.
- Super easy recipe!
- A delicious dinner-time idea.
- You'll find more convenient Slow-cooker meals like this Lentil and Sausage Stew here on Flavour and Savourl.
This slow cooker Sticky Chicken thigh recipe is a little salty and a little sweet and a little hot and spicy. It makes juicy, tender meat with an Asian-style sauce your whole family will love.
It's the easiest meal you'll make all week.
Simply mix the sticky chicken sauce ingredients together, pour over the chicken thighs and let your slow cooker work its magic.
And if you're pressed for time, you can use my recipe for Instant Pot Sticky Chicken, ready in about half an hour!
Here's what you'll need to make this easy crock pot chicken recipe. You'll find a complete list with amounts in the printable recipe card below.
- chicken parts: I use chicken thighs because I find that thighs are better in the slow cooker than chicken breasts. Thighs have more flavour, and they don't dry out and get stringy when cooked for a long time. You could also use wings or legs (drumsticks).
- This recipe is written for either boneless skinless chicken thighs or bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. While some people shun chicken skin, it adds a lot of flavour and it keeps the meat from drying out. If you prefer to use boneless chicken thighs, this recipe works beautifully as well. You simply cook it for less time. See notes below for cooking times for each type of chicken thigh.
- tamari: (gluten-free soy sauce) (or coconut aminos for a Paleo diet)
- balsamic vinegar: adds necessary acid to balance the flavours.
- Sriracha sauce: or other hot sauce like Sambal Oelek, or you can substitute dried red pepper flakes.
- honey and coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- aromatics: garlic cloves, fresh ginger root and onion powder
- garnish: green onion or cilantro and sesame seeds
- Put the chicken thighs in your slow cooker. Combine the sauce ingredients and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours on low for boneless chicken or 5 -6 hours for bone-in thighs.
- Check for doneness with an instant-read meat thermometer. It should register at least 165°F.
- Just before serving, make a cornstarch slurry and stir it back into the slow cooker and cook for 10 - 15 minutes more, or until thickened and glossy.
- Serve over rice, noodles, quinoa, mashed potatoes, or with stir-fried or roasted vegetables.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs results in tender, juicy chicken. However, the skin will not become crispy in this crockpot chicken recipe. If this bothers you, simply remove the skin before eating.
You could also add an extra step to this recipe and brown the chicken parts in a skillet on the stovetop before adding them to the slow cooker to help crisp the skin.
Take your family's tolerance for spicy food into account when you add the hot sauce. I find 2 teaspoons is plenty. You may want to reduce the amount.
🍽 Serving suggestions
This Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken is delicious over rice or pasta, or even mashed potatoes. If you'd like, you can serve it with stir-fried vegetables, or with a side of baby bok choy, lightly steamed broccoli, green beans or this Easy 5-minute Sesame Asparagus.
🥶 Storage instructions
Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Freeze the cooked chicken dish in an airtight container for up to 3 months, then thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
This popular crock pot sticky chicken recipe was originally published in 2014. It has been updated with extra information to make it more helpful to you and the cooking times have been re-tested and revised slightly.
🌟 Did you make this recipe?
When you make this slow cooker sticky chicken recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Crock Pot Sticky Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, boneless, skinless or bone-in, skin-on
- ⅓ cup tamari soy sauce, or coconut aminos for paleo diet
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ inch knob fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger,
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 green onion, or chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Put fresh or thawed chicken thighs in slow cooker.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except the cornstarch, water, and garnish.
- Pour over chicken thighs, turning to coat all pieces.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours on Low for boneless chicken or 5 - 6 hours for bone-in thighs.
- When cooked through and tender, mix 2 - 4 tablespoons cornstarch with tan equal amount of water and a little of the sauce from the slow cooker. (The amount of cornstarch will depend on how much liquid the chicken has released and how thick you like your sauce.) Pour over the chicken, stir and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and is glossy.
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onion or chopped cilantro and sesame seeds and serve.