Serve this sugar-free Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam as a savory appetizer with cheese, crackers, on crostini or as a topping for baked Brie. Quick and easy!
Healthy Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam for your next savory appetizer! This sugar-free anti-oxidant rich blueberry jam is just THE BEST!
It’s a quick and easy recipe you could make while your friends are on their way over. Mix it up, let it stand and cool for a few minutes, then serve it with
- goat cheese
- blue cheese
- cream cheese
- on ricotta toast
- on crostini or crackers
- as a topping for baked Brie
This quick jam needs NO refined sugar, NO special equipment and NO canning or processing time. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries. It’s vegan, Paleo and Keto approved!
I discovered the benefits of chia seed jams when I made this Quick Sugar-Free Blackberry Chia Seed Jam.
Since then, I’ve used a similar recipe to make it with other berries, too. Traditional jams use copious amounts of refined sugar and sometimes pectin to help them set. This blueberry jam relies on the gelling power of chia instead.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients for Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam
- blueberries: fresh or frozen
- lemon juice: fresh squeezed is always best
- fresh basil leaves
- low carb granulated sweetener: (like Lacanto Monkfruit with erythritol) or honey
- chia seeds: white or black
- jalapeño pepper: optional, but interesting
Bring blueberries, basil and optional jalapeño pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan, then immediately reduce the heat and simmer, just until the berries have softened. Remove from the heat, stir in the sweetener and chia seeds. Let stand to cool and let the chia seeds work their gelling magic.
How long will this Chia Seed Jam last?
Store this jam in small jars in the fridge or freezer. This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups of jam. It will last in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serving Suggestion: Baked Brie with Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam
Heaven! Place a small round of Brie in a 5-inch cast iron skillet. Bake at 350°F. for 10 – 15 minutes or until the cheese is warm to the touch and soft inside. Top with Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam, let cool for 5 minutes, then serve with crackers or baguette slices.
Your next appy. Right here. Blueberries with a hint of basil and lemon on warm gooey, melty Brie smeared on a cracker or crostini.
No further description necessary.
Blueberry Basil Chia Seed Jam - Sugar-free
- Slightly mash blueberries with lemon juice, basil and optional jalapeño in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then simmer just until the berries have softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sweetener and chia seeds. Let stand for 10 - 15 minutes or so until the chia has swelled and thickened the berry mixture.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze in air-tight containers.
Looking for more appetizer ideas? 20 Easy Finger-Food Appetizers
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.