Sweet mangoes, spicy peppers and fresh lime combine to make this Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken with coconut rice a family favourite. Gluten-free.
This Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken will keep everyone happy!
This easy chicken dish is cooked with a flavourful Thai-inspired sauce made with chili peppers, lime, ginger and turmeric. It's a recipe that I've made for years and is always devoured! It's easy, healthy and you can make it ahead of time and freeze it.
One of the best parts about this Mango Chicken recipe is that you can increase or decrease the amount of heat. Leave out the Thai chili peppers, or add more! Increase or decrease the amount of ginger you add.
You know your family's tastes. Just adjust the seasonings to keep everyone happy.
Here's what you'll need to make this family-friendly dinner.
chicken: boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts. Both work well in this recipe
mangoes: you'll need 3 large fresh mangoes (2 for the sauce and 1 for garnish) or 3 cups frozen mango chunks (2 cups for the sauce and 1 for garnish)
red chili pepper: fresh or dried
rice vinegar: or apple cider vinegar
soy sauce: or coconut aminos
fish sauce: (optional if you really don't like it)
lime: you'll need lime juice and zest
sugar: coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
ginger: fresh, grated
garlic: fresh is always best
turmeric: adds flavour and a beautiful colour
coconut milk: optional
red bell pepper
An easy slow cooker chicken dish
Cut the chicken pieces in strips or cubes and process the mango sauce ingredients in a food processor. Transfer the chicken to your slow cooker bowl, pour the sauce over top and cook on high for 2 hours. When it's ready to serve, spoon it over rice, then garnish with fresh diced red pepper, mango cubes and a little cilantro.
Cook this Thai Mango Chicken in an Instant Pot too
This one-pot chicken dish is just so simple and it cooks beautifully in an Instant Pot, too. Process all the sauce ingredients in a food processor, put the chicken in an Instant Pot, pour the sauce on top and let it cook. 10 minutes should do the trick! Garnish with some red pepper, cilantro and the remaining mango chunks.
Serve this Mango Chicken with Thai Coconut Rice--the rice recipe that hasn't failed me yet!
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot: your choice!
My stovetop Mango Chicken has been one of my go-to chicken dinners for a long time. Recently, a reader asked if she could make this recipe in a crock pot or slow cooker. What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm always on the lookout for quick and easy dinners and this one certainly meets that criteria.
After her suggestion, I got busy and adapted my original recipe to streamline it and make it gluten-free and paleo. I also tested it in both the slow cooker and the Instant Pot.
Fresh or frozen mango: your choice!
This time, I used frozen mango chunks because they were less expensive than buying fresh mangoes.
I also used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, but either will work just fine. I cut out the oil and flour by removing the need to brown the chicken parts first.
Can I freeze this Mango Chicken?
Double the recipe! The recipe as written serves four. You can easily double it if you're serving a larger group, or if you want to freeze half for another day. I often double the sauce portion of this recipe and freeze it so that all I have to do is thaw it, pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker and cut up a red pepper and some cilantro. A quick dinner!
Enjoy, everyone! I hope this easy one-pot recipe becomes a family favourite in your home, too.
Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken
- 3 mangoes peeled and cubed (Use 2 mangoes in the sauce peeled and cubed (Use 2 mangoes in the sauce and reserve 1 for garnish.) OR 3 cups frozen mango chunks (2 for the sauce, 1 for garnish)
- 1 tsp red chili pepper, de-seeded and diced, OR half a dried crushed chili
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar OR apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 8 chicken thighs boneless and skinless OR 4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed or sliced lengthwise into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Place all Mango Sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process until almost smooth, leaving a few chunks.
- Place chicken pieces in the slow cooker, pour the Mango sauce on top and cook on High for 2 hours. (Time will depend on your slow cooker.) For Instant pot, set for 10 minutes, then use Natural Release for 5 to 10 minutes. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should be at least 165°F.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, diced red pepper and mango chunks and serve with Thai Coconut Rice.
Try this with Mango Chicken with Thai Coconut Rice.
Cooked in coconut milk, this recipe has never failed me. No more sticky rice!
Love Thai flavours? Try this popular recipe, too.
It's a meal you can make ahead of time and store in the freezer for a buy weeknight. Flavoured with cilantro, ginger, basil, garlic, jalapeño and coriander, it's a slightly spicy dish that leaves you wanting more.