My Mango Chicken has been one of my go-to chicken dinners for a long time. Recently, a reader asked if she could make this recipe in a crock pot or slow cooker. What a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that? I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy dinners and this one certainly meets that criteria.
After her suggestion, I got busy and adapted my original recipe to streamline it and make it gluten-free and paleo. This time, I used frozen mango chunks because they were less expensive than buying fresh mangoes. I also used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts, but either will work just fine. I cut out the oil and flour by removing the need to brown the chicken parts first.
This Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken will keep everyone happy!
This easy chicken dish is cooked with a flavourful Thai-inspired sauce made with chili peppers, lime, ginger and turmeric. One of the best parts about it is that you can increase or decrease the amount of heat. Leave out the Thai chili peppers, or add more! Increase or decrease the amount of ginger you add. You know your family’s tastes. Just adjust the seasonings to keep everyone happy.
Do you own an Instant Pot? This one-pot chicken dish is just so simple and it cooks beautifully in an Instant Pot too. Process all the sauce ingredients in a food processor, put the chicken in a slow cooker or Instant Pot, pour the sauce on top and let it cook. Garnish with some red pepper, cilantro and the remaining mango chunks. Serve over your favourite rice or this yummy Thai Coconut Rice–the one that hasn’t failed me yet!
- cubed fruit from 3 ripe mangoes (Use 2 mangoes in the sauce reserve 1 for garnish.) OR 3 cups frozen mango chunks (2 for the sauce, 1 for garnish)
- 1 tsp red chili pepper, de-seeded and diced, OR half a dried crushed chili
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar OR apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece of ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs OR 4 boneless chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Place all Mango Sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process until almost smooth, leaving a few chunks.
- Place chicken pieces in the slow cooker, pour the Mango sauce on top and cook on High for 2 hours. (Time will depend on your slow cooker.) (10 minutes in an Instant Pot)
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, diced red pepper and mango chunks and serve with Thai Coconut Rice.
Try this with Thai Coconut Rice:
This post contains affiliate links.