This Winter Citrus Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese combines sweet oranges, fresh mint and spicy arugula. It’s topped with tangy cheese and flaked almonds to make a work of art on a plate.
This Citrus Salad is a beautiful medley of contrasting flavours: sweet oranges, peppery arugula, and tangy cheese. It has a subtle hidden flavour that pops out after the first bite: fresh mint! Here’s a salad that will brighten any winter meal.
A few weeks ago, just for fun, I went to a Women’s Paint Night. These events are tailor-made for participants like me: People Who Do Not Paint. The lesson format guaranteed success. We were each provided with a blank canvas, a paint smock, and all the paints and tools we would need to create a canvas just like the sample. The instructor led us through a series of steps, adding layers of colour and different elements one by one, designed for us to create an abstract painting.
When we finished, we stepped back to admire each other’s work. While all the paintings were similar, each had its own individual touches that made it unique. Each artist brought her own style to her canvas, even though the materials used and the instruction provided was the same for us all.
Creating this citrus salad reminded me of that painting. It truly is a work of art, it was fun to create, and you can change some of the elements to make it truly your own.
Start with a base of fresh, juicy oranges. Use whatever is in season. I used blood oranges and two varieties of navel oranges and arranged them on a large platter.
Next, add thinly sliced red onions and finely chopped fresh mint leaves.
Toss arugula leaves with a little oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and add them to the platter. I used a lemon-infused olive oil, but any extra-virgin olive oil will work just fine. And finally, garnish with crumbled cheese–your choice of goat cheese, feta, or ricotta. Add your finishing touches by scattering the salad with flaked toasted almonds or finely chopped pistachios.
Your masterpiece is complete!
Winter Citrus Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese
This Winter Citrus Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese is bursting with sweet oranges, fresh mint and spicy arugula and it's topped with tangy cheese and flaked almonds. It makes a beautiful accompaniment to any winter meal.
Servings: 4 - 6
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 5 Tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 large navel oranges
- 3 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby arugula
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or lemon-infused olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons crumbled goat cheese or ricotta, or feta
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds, toasted
- Put sliced onion in a small bowl with 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar. Set aside.
- Remove peel and pith from oranges and slice into rounds.
- Arrange on a platter or on individual serving plates.
- Sprinkle with mint leaves.
- Drain red onion, discard vinegar and scatter onion on oranges.
- Toss arugula with olive oil and remaining 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Add to salad.
- Garnish with crumbled cheese and flaked almonds and serve immediately.
Looking for more citrus salad inspiration? Try these:
This recipe was inspired by Saveur’s Citrus Salad with Arugula & Ricotta Salata.