A lightened up version of a traditional “fool” dessert. This Cherry Yogurt Coconut Fool mini dessert is made with fresh or frozen cherries and Greek yogurt.
Mini desserts like this Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool are often all we want after a big meal. This no-bake easy dessert is lightly sweetened with your choice of sweetener. Cherries add a delicate colour and natural sweetness. Pretty in pink!
This mini dessert is ideal for any time of the year. When fresh cherries are available, it’s a great way to celebrate cherry season! Frozen cherries are available year round and they’re already pitted! This Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool is perfect for a date night dessert at home, for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any time you want a light healthy dessert.
What is a Fool?
A “fool” dessert is made by folding puréed fruit into either a sweet custard or whipped cream. I have a delicious recipe for an easy Raspberry Rhubarb Fool here on the blog that you might like.
Today, however, I lightened this traditional English dessert by substituting plain Greek yogurt for the whipping cream. While you can use the sweetener of your choice, I used zero-calorie Monkfruit with erythritol in this recipe.
Since cherries and almond flavours go hand-in-hand, I added a tiny bit of pure almond extract to the mix. To add some contrast in texture and taste, I topped the dessert glasses with chopped salted pistachios. Flaked almonds are also delicious, however, and they complement the cherry-almond flavour of this mini cherry dessert.
Let’s make it!
Ingredients to make this Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool
- Greek yogurt: use a very firm variety, the kind you can stand a spoon up in. I used 2%.
- coconut: medium unsweetened. It’s optional if you don’t like coconut.
- sweetener: zero-calorie sweetener (Monkfruit with erythritol is my favourite), Swerve, sugar or honey.
- cherries: pitted fresh or frozen. You’ll purée 1/4 cup in a blender and halve an additional 1/2 cup to fold in.
- pure almond extract: just 1/4 teaspooon
- roasted salted pistachios: coarsely chop to add a little salty interest, or substitute flaked almonds if you don’t have pistachios.
Tips to make this Mini Cherry Dessert
To make this easy mini dessert, simply combine yogurt, coconut, sweetener, puréed cherries and almond extract in a small bowl. Gently fold in the halved cherries, fill dessert cups and garnish with a small dollop of yogurt and chopped nuts. If you’re not serving on the same day, add the nuts just before serving so they don’t become soggy.
To make this dessert richer, you could substitute 1/4 to 1/2 of the yogurt with whipping cream.
I hope you like it as much as we do! If you make it, let me know in the comments below.
Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool
- 1 1/3 cups Greek yogurt firm
- 2 tbsp coconut medium, unsweetened
- 1.5 tbsp sweetener sugar, honey, or zero-calorie sweetener like Monkfruit with erythritol or Swerve
- 1/4 cup cherries puréed
- 1/2 cup cherries halved
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tbsp salted pistachios or flaked almonds
- Combine Greek yogurt, coconut, sweetener, puréed cherries and almond extract in a small bowl.
- Gently fold in halved cherries.
- Spoon into 4 mini dessert cups. Garnish with salted pistachios or flaked almonds. Chill until serving time.
Love mini desserts? So do I! Try these:
- Mini No-Bake Cranberry-Orange Cheesecake
- Mason Jar No-Bake Cheesecake
- Mini Raspberry Peach Chia Seed Pudding
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse
- Caramel Almond Crunch Nice Cream
- Mason Jar Peach Crisp
- Meyer Lemon Mini Parfait
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.