Enjoy a lighter version of a classic dessert with this cherry fool made with fresh or frozen cherries and creamy Greek yogurt instead of heavy whipping cream. This delicious mini cherry dessert is easy to make. It's a healthier version of a traditional cherry fool!
Mini desserts like this Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool are often all we want after a big meal. This no-bake mini dessert is lightly sweetened with your choice of sweetener. Cherries add a delicate colour and natural sweetness. Pretty in pink!
❤️ Why you'll love this cherry dessert
This mini cherry dessert is ideal for any time of the year. When fresh cherries are available, it's a great way to celebrate cherry season! Frozen cherries are available year-round and they're already pitted!
This Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool is perfect for a date night dessert at home, for Valentine's Day, Christmas, Mother's Day or any time you want a light healthy dessert.
I lightened this traditional English dessert by substituting plain Greek yogurt for whipping cream. While you can certainly use the sweetener of your choice, I use zero-calorie Monkfruit with erythritol in this recipe.
Since cherries and almond flavours go hand-in-hand, I added a tiny bit of pure almond extract to the mix. To add some contrast in texture and taste, I topped the dessert glasses with chopped salted pistachios. Flaked almonds are also delicious, however, and they complement the cherry-almond flavour of this mini cherry dessert.
What is a Fool?
A "fool" dessert is made by folding puréed fruit into either a sweet custard or whipped cream. I have a delicious recipe for an easy Raspberry Rhubarb Fool here on the blog that you might like.
Let's make it!
Ingredients to make this Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. Here are a few notes about the ingredients.
- Greek yogurt: use a very firm variety, the kind you can stand a spoon up in. You can use a light yogurt, or full-fat.
- coconut: medium unsweetened. It's optional if you don't like coconut.
- sweetener: zero-calorie sweetener (Monkfruit with erythritol is my favourite), but you can use sugar or honey if you'd prefer.
- cherries: pitted, fresh or frozen. You'll purée ¼ cup in a blender and halve an additional ½ cup to fold in.
- pure almond extract: just ¼ teaspooon is enough to give that almond flavour that goes so well with cherries.
- roasted salted pistachios: coarsely chop to add a little salty interest, or substitute flaked almonds if you don't have pistachios.
Tips to make this Mini Cherry Dessert
To make this easy mini dessert, simply combine yogurt, coconut, sweetener, puréed cherries and almond extract in a small bowl.
Gently fold in the halved cherries, fill dessert cups and garnish with a small dollop of yogurt and chopped nuts.
If you're not serving this cherry fool on the same day, add the nuts just before serving so they don't become soggy.
To make this dessert richer, you could substitute ¼ to ½ of the yogurt with whipping cream.
When you make this cherry fool, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
More no-bake mini desserts
Light Cherry Coconut Yogurt Fool
- 1 ⅓ cups Greek yogurt firm
- 2 tablespoon coconut medium, unsweetened
- 1.5 tablespoon sweetener sugar, honey, or zero-calorie sweetener like Monkfruit with erythritol or Swerve
- ¼ cup cherries puréed
- ½ cup cherries halved
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon salted pistachios or flaked almonds
- Combine Greek yogurt, coconut, sweetener, puréed cherries and almond extract in a small bowl.
- Gently fold in halved cherries.
- Spoon into 4 mini dessert cups. Garnish with salted pistachios or flaked almonds. Chill until serving time.