This Mango Chicken dish has all your favourite Thai flavours in one easy meal!
I can't think of a better way to bring a warm, tropical feel to a dark, dreary winter day than to serve this vibrant Easy Mango Chicken with Thai Coconut Rice.
Other than a trip to a tropical spot with a white sand beach and palm trees, that is.
This Mango Chicken is one of my go-to chicken dishes. It's quick to put together and if you double the quantity of the sauce, you can freeze half for another time.
It's a little sweet, a little spicy, a little sour, and a little salty, all in one mouthful. Perfectly balanced flavours make this an upscale chicken and rice dish. It's fancy enough for a dinner party when served with Thai Coconut Rice, but easy enough for a weeknight meal.
Not too sweet. Not too spicy. Just right.
Tips for Making Easy Mango Chicken
- Make the sauce first by combining two of the mangoes with the chili pepper, vinegar, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), fish sauce, lime juice and zest, coconut sugar, ginger, garlic and turmeric in a food processor.
- Slice the chicken breasts, then toss with flour and salt until coated.
- Fry the chicken in oil until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the sauce and the diced red pepper to the skillet and simmer. Then add the chicken pieces and the diced mango from the third mango.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over Thai Coconut Rice or your favourite rice dish.
- 3 mangoes, cubed. Use 2 in the sauce, reserve 1 for garnish.
- 1 red chili pepper de-seeded and diced, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar OR white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size knob of ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Optional: 3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 4 boneless chicken breasts sliced lengthwise into 3-4 pieces each
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour mixed with 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or more, if desired
- Place all Mango Sauce ingredients in a food processor. Process until fairly smooth with a few chunks.
- Stir the flour and salt together and place in a mixing bowl. Add the chicken pieces and turn or gently stir them to coat.
- Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then begin frying the chicken pieces. Fry 3-5 minutes per side, or until light golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Wash out the pan, or use another clean one. Set over medium-high heat and add the mango sauce and the chopped red pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer. If sauce becomes too thick, add 3-4 Tbsp. water or coconut milk. Simmer 3-4 minutes, or until pepper has softened slightly but is still tender crisp.
- Add the fried chicken pieces, gently stirring them to cover with sauce. Add the reserved mango chunks and simmer just until heated through, or serve raw as a garnish if you prefer.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve with Thai Coconut Rice.
You might also like this Slow Cooker Thai Mango Chicken. One of our favourite family meals, now made even easier by cooking it in a slow cooker!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.