All the flavour of Green Goddess Dressing without the mayo! This Vegan Mayo-Free Avocado Green Goddess Dressing makes a fabulous salad dressing or dip, a topping for power bowls or tacos, or a marinade for shrimp or chicken. Keto-friendly!
Who doesn't love this classic California dressing? Green Goddess dressing became popular in the 1920's in San Francisco where it was made with a base of full-fat mayonnaise, sour cream and anchovies. Tasty, but not so great for our heart health . . . or waistline!
This lighter recipe for Green Goddess Dressing with tarragon has just as much flavour, it's just as creamy, but you'll make it with a base of avocado instead of mayonnaise. It has a wonderful zestiness from lemon and lime juices. Chives and fresh tarragon give it a characteristic green hue and add light, fresh springtime flavours.
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- light salad oil *use avocado oil or olive oil for keto diet
- sea salt
- fresh chives
- fresh tarragon
First, believe me that you honestly won't miss the mayonnaise or sour cream!
Choose a ripe avocado, remove the pit and scoop the flesh from the peel. Next, add it to a blender along with the remaining ingredients, then blend until smooth and creamy.
This vegan recipe makes a thick dressing which is best on sturdy greens like romaine or kale. Unless you thin it out with water, it's not a pourable dressing, so toss your salad before serving.
🍽 Five ways to use Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
Here are a few suggestions for ways to use this green goddess dressing.
- Use it as a cool, creamy dressing for your favourite salad.
- It makes a pretty dip for fresh vegetables.
- It's a fabulous dressing for potato salad.
- Try it as a topping for fish or shrimp tacos.
- As a dressing for your favourite power bowl! Try it on this Fresh Veggie and Grilled Shrimp Zoodle Bowl , this Fresh Burrito Bowl.
This Green Goddess dressing with tarragon is made without anchovies, and it's gluten-free, vegan and paleo. If you use avocado oil or olive oil, it's suitable for ketogenic diets, too!
How long will this dressing keep?
This vegan Green Goddess dressing (or dip) will keep up to a week in a covered jar in the refrigerator. Adding lemon and lime juice to the recipe helps to keep this dip's beautiful green colour without turning brown!
Looking for more healthy dip recipe ideas? See these 9 Easy Healthy Dip Recipes.
📖 Recipe Card
Mayo-Free Avocado Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 lime zest and juice of
- 1 lemon zest and juice of
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup light salad oil *use avocado oil or olive oil for keto diet
- ½ cup water more for a thinner dressing
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon chopped
- Put all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and creamy.
This recipe was slightly adapted from the dressing used in King Crab Cobb Salad by Ned Bell in Lure: Healthy, Sustainable Seafood Recipes from the West Coast.