These oven-roasted carrots with honey-mustard glaze make a perfect side dish for holiday meals. This recipe included step-by-step instructions and tips to make the best honey-roasted carrots. A Paleo-friendly recipe.
Carrots. Herbs. A drizzle of honey, a spoonful of Dijon and a couple of cloves of garlic are all you need to make these Roasted Carrots with Honey-Mustard Glaze. These make a fabulous holiday side dish.
Carrots with mustard may sound like an odd flavour combination, but if you add honey you'll have carrots with honey mustard glaze, which is absolutely delicious!
To make the best honey-roasted carrots, start with the freshest carrots you can find. If you can't pull them straight from the ground in your garden, buying them from your local farm market is the next best thing. I picked up these multi-colored carrots at our market just because I thought they were pretty. It turns out they were even more beautiful once they were roasted and glazed and became tender and crispy in the oven.
But rainbow carrots may not be available year-round. This recipe is just as delicious with regular carrots, too.
❤️ Why this recipe works
These honey-mustard carrots with garlic are an ideal side dish for any time of the year. This roasted carrot recipe makes a quick weeknight side, and it's special enough for a holiday meal. Whether it's Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, carrots are part of our dinner.
Carrots are naturally sweet, but roasting them in the oven intensifies their flavour. Adding this honey-mustard glaze puts them over the top and this dish receives rave reviews whenever I make it.
Here's what you'll need:
- carrots: rainbow (multi-coloured) or orange
- olive oil: as a base for the glaze
- honey: adds sweetness and adds to the natural caramelization while the carrots are roasting
- Dijon mustard: adds a spicy tang
- rosemary: fresh!
- garlic: fresh minced cloves adds so much flavour
- salt and pepper
- parsley: for garnish. Or add freshly chopped herbs, like thyme or more rosemary.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Whisk the honey-mustard sauce ingredients together.
- Toss the carrots in the sauce, making sure they're well coated.
- Arrange in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven, turning occasionally until carrots are crisp tender and edges are caramelized and beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and garnish with freshly chopped parsley and extra salt and pepper to taste.
👍🏼Helpful tips for how to roast carrots
To successfully roast carrots, or any vegetable, use a sturdy baking sheet. Line it with parchment paper for easy clean up. You want the natural sugars in the vegetables to caramelize so they develop those nice browned, crispy surfaces.
If the baking dish has high sides, the heat tends to be trapped inside and the vegetables cook by steaming instead of roasting.
For the same reason, make sure the vegetables aren't touching each other. Spread them out a little on your baking sheet, or use two sheets.
⏰ Time-Saving Tips
If you're like me when you're preparing a holiday dinner, you like to have much of the food preparation done in advance. Here are some ways to save time in the kitchen.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together the day before.
- Scrub the carrots the day before and store in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Then just before you're ready to roast them, toss with the glaze, arrange on baking sheet(s) and put them in the oven. Chop some parsley for garnish while they're roasting.
This recipe for honey-mustard roasted carrots is fast and easy, but it turns plain carrots into something spectacular. And don't those colours just shout, "It's Fall!"?
Roasted Carrots with Honey-Mustard Glaze
- 12-15 medium carrots, multicolour or orange
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Scrub the carrots and peel if necessary. Cut larger ones in half lengthwise so that carrots are of uniform sizes and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate container, whisk olive oil, minced garlic, rosemary, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly and pour over carrots, coating evenly, making sure they are all well-coated.
- Arrange in a single layer in a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Avoid having them touch each other. Use two baking sheets if necessary.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally until tender and just beginning to brown.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
1. Use a baking sheet. You want the natural sugars in the vegetables to caramelize so they develop those nice browned, crispy surfaces. If the pan has high sides, the heat tends to be trapped inside and the vegetables cook by steaming instead of roasting.
2. For the same reason, make sure the vegetables aren't touching each other.