This Roasted Grape and Goat Cheese Crostini with hazelnuts and honey is an appetizer to remember! Sweet warm grapes nestled into whipped goat cheese, sprinkled with toasted hazelnuts, drizzled with honey, all on top of a crusty baguette slice--delicious!
These Roasted Grape and Goat Cheese Crostini are surprisingly incredible!
While it may sound odd to roast grapes, I do know that roasting brings out the natural sugars and enhances the flavour of both fruit and vegetables. You'll just have to try these to believe how good they are!
For example, roasting cauliflower for this Roasted Cauliflower Soup brings out its natural sweetness. Likewise, roasting pears to make these Chai Spiced Roasted Pear Oat Muffins makes them sweeter and reduces the need to add extra sugar. And roasting acorn squash to make Garlic Parmesan-Crusted Acorn Squash caramelizes the natural sugars in squash, intensifying its flavour.
Sweet roasted grapes, combined with whipped goat cheese, a little balsamic vinegar, crunchy hazelnuts and a drizzle of honey make a delicious topping for a tiny slice of toasted baguette.
Let's make a few to share with friends!
Ingredients for Roasted Grape Goat Cheese Crostini
- baguette: whole grain or gluten free. This topping is also delicious on a rice cracker.
- red grapes
- balsamic vinegar: the real stuff!
- fresh rosemary: two sprigs will be enough
- goat cheese: a creamy variety
- cream cheese: regular or low-fat
- lemon zest: remember to zest the lemon first before you squeeze the juice
- lemon juice: freshly squeezed is always best
- hazelnuts: or pecans or walnuts
How to Make this Roasted Grape Finger Food Appetizer
- First, prepare the baguette slices. Slice thinly, brush with olive oil and toast in the oven for 7 minutes or until lightly browned, turning half way through the cooking time.
- Next, roast the grapes. Toss with a little olive oil, roast until they have shrivelled and may be beginning to burst. Remove from the oven, toss with a little balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary.
- Chop and roast the hazelnuts until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Make the whipped goat cheese topping. Combine the ingredients in a mini food processor or blender. (You can also use this same spread to make other crostini appetizers, like these Roasted Cherry Goat Cheese Crostini or Smoked Salmon Whipped Goat Cheese Crostini.)
- And finally, assemble! Smear a little Whipped Goat Cheese spread on a slice of toasted baguette, top with some hazelnuts and press 2 or 3 roasted grapes on top. Garnish with freshly chopped rosemary and drizzle with honey. So delicious!
Looking for more crostini recipes? Check 5 Tips for Making Crostini.
Roasted Grape and Goat Cheese Crostini
- 1/2 baguette spelt, whole grain or gluten-free
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 24-36 red seedless grapes enough for about 2-3 for each slice of baguette
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- sea salt
Whipped Goat Cheese Spread
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/4 cup cream cheese regular or low-fat
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest finely grated
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts finely chopped and toasted
- honey to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Slice the baguette into 1/2 inch slices.Brush lightly with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake at 375°F for 7 – 8 minutes, turning over halfway through until golden brown. The crostini should be slightly crispy on top but the inside should be tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Toast hazelnuts in the oven, remove when lightly browned and fragrant (about 7 - 10 minutes) and chop finely.
- Wash and dry the grapes and remove the stems.
- In a small bowl, toss the grapes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet and roast until they begin to burst, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with finely chopped rosemary and a pinch or two of salt.
- In a mini food processor (or blender) make the whipped goat cheese: combine goat cheese, cream cheese, 1 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp lemon zest. Process until blended.
- Spread each baguette slice with whipped goat cheese, Sprinkle with a few chopped toasted hazelnuts. Top with two or three roasted grape halves, then drizzle with remaining honey and the remaining freshly chopped rosemary. Serve and enjoy!
This post was originally published in 2015. It has been revised and updated with new information and photos.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.