Celebrate fall and winter days! Use a fruity red wine to make this Red Wine Pomegranate Sangria and flavour it with slices of citrus fruit. This easy pomegranate sangria recipe is quick to make, and it's just sweet enough. It's a perfect drink to celebrate winter holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The holidays are almost here and that means it's time for a toast! This easy Pomegranate Sangria with oranges and lemons is a favourite winter sangria recipe. It's very simple to make and it's perfect for holiday entertaining.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Full of flavour and fresh fruit! Rich with Vitamin C from oranges, lemons, limes, and pomegranate, this red wine holiday punch is full of flavour but it's not too sweet. And just look at that glass brimming with fresh fruit!
- Save time! One of the things I love about this festive drink is that I can make it ahead of time. Make-ahead. If I'm having friends for dinner, it seems there are always a few things that have to be done at the last minute, so I look for ways to streamline dinner preparation with make-ahead dishes.
- Make the day before! This red wine pomegranate sangria can easily be made the day before. In fact, it's actually better if the flavours have had some time to blend.
- Use your favourite red wine. It doesn't have to be an expensive one!
🛒 Ingredients for Pomegranate Sangria
a bottle of red wine: Use a blended red wine, or your favourite rich red, like a Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah. A fruity red wine will also be delicious.
pomegranate juice: pure pomegranate juice has lots of flavour. Not only that, it's incredibly nutritious, too! Read more about the health benefits of pomegranate juice.
liqueur or brandy: orange liqueurs like Triple Sec or Gran Marnier are the perfect pairing for this winter sangria.
sweetener: you can make simple syrup (heat equal parts water and sugar until dissolved) or use honey.
sparkling water: your favourite unflavoured brand, or you can use club soda or even tonic water.
lots of fruit!: I added sliced oranges, lemons, limes, pomegranate arils, and a few red grapes sliced in half. Since the peel from the citrus fruit will be soaking up all that delicious wine and juice, I like to use organic oranges and lemons.
🥄 Step-by-step Instructions
- Combine. In a large pitcher, combine the pomegranate juice, red wine, orange liqueur and sweetener. Add sliced citrus fruit and pomegranate arils, if you like.
- Refrigerate. Mix everything together, except the sparkling water, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight with the fruit in the pitcher.
- Add sparkling water. Then, when you're ready to enjoy, fill a glass half full of ice, add the Sangria with some of the fruit slices, and top up with a little sparkling water, club soda or tonic water.
🔁 Possible Substitutions
I like to use Pom pomegranate juice because it is pure pomegranate juice, but there may be less expensive options where you live. Check the labels on bottles of pomegranate juice blends. Some of them are made mostly with apple and pear juice with only a small amount of pomegranate!
This pomegranate sangria with oranges can also easily be transformed into pomegranate sangria with strawberries! I love the festive colour that sliced strawberries add to this drink.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Having a pitcher of sangria ready when your friends arrive is a good way to get your party started! It gives the message that the evening will be festive and fun!
Add a fun swizzle stick (love these ones!) or straw along with the slices of fresh fruit.
Serve it with tapas if you want to keep things authentically Spanish. Choose a few to make, like these:
- Spanish Spiced Almonds (Almendras Fritas)
- Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Tapas
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates with Walnuts and Mint
As I mentioned earlier, while you can certainly make and drink this pomegranate sangria right away, it's even better if it's made a day ahead so the fruit has time to soak up the flavours. Add the sparkling water just before serving so it doesn't go flat and lose its fizz.
If you have any leftover, store it in the fridge. It will be just as delicious the next day!
If you're a Sangria lover, like I am, you'll love these other winter Sangria recipes too!
- Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria: idea for fall and Thanksgiving
- Citrus Sangria with Triple Sec: delicious year-round!
This pomegranate sangria recipe was originally published in 2017. I've updated it with extra information to make it more helpful.
🗒 More drink recipes you might like
When you make this Pomegranate Sangria please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing how my recipes turned out for you or what adaptations you made. Thanks in advance!
Easy Red Wine Pomegranate Sangria with Citrus Slices
- 1 750 oz. bottle fruity red wine
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- ½ cup Gran Marnier or Triple Sec
- ¼ cup simple syrup* OR honey
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 medium organic oranges, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 organic lemon, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup red grapes, sliced in half, (optional)
- tonic water or sparkling water to top off each drink
- In a large pitcher, stir all ingredients together, except sparkling water. Add fruit to pitcher.
- Chill for at least 2 hours, (and preferably overnight) to allow the flavours to blend.
- Pour over ice and top glasses with tonic or sparkling water.