Discover the secret to making crispy Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges that don’t stick to the pan!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Have you ever baked oven fries and had them stick to the baking sheet? Dreams of crispy fries with a creamy dip go up in smoke when all that remains are broken bits of sweet potato stuck to the pan.
Oven-roasting is my favourite way to cook vegetables. I’ve been working on improving my technique to produce crispy veggies and wrote about three steps to perfectly roasted vegetables in this recipe for Apple Cider Roasted Root Vegetables. The same three principles apply to these sweet potato wedges, but I found they turned out even better when I used this one simple trick.
Bake them on a rack!
The oven heat circulates around them, baking them evenly while caramelizing their edges, producing flavourful crisp potato wedges that are still soft and tender inside. Seasoned with smoked paprika and dipped in avocado aioli, these smoky sweet potato fries are a crowd-pleasing healthy snack. Your stuck-to-the-pan days are over!
Scrub, slice, sprinkle and bake.
Mix up the avocado aioli while they’re getting all toasty in the oven, then remove from the oven, sprinkle with a little extra coarse sea salt and serve hot with the avocado dip, or make your life even easier (and keep this snack vegan) by serving with this Chipotle Vegenaise. Enjoy!
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, depending on how much spice you like, or more
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise, or Vegenaise if vegan
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub potatoes under running water. It's not necessary to peel them.
- Cut in half lengthwise, then in half again, and then again so that each potato yields 8 thick wedges.
- Put in a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Position baking racks on top of baking sheets. Spread in a single layer on one or two baking sheets.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 min.
- Flip and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the Avocado Aioli. Mix the avocado flesh with the remaining ingredients in a small food processor until smooth. Serve with the smoky sweet potato wedges.