Similar to crostini appetizers, these Whipped Feta Apple Hazelnut Canapés are crostini appetizers without the bread! Gluten-free finger food that is absolutely delicious.
Whipped Feta Apple Hazelnut Canapés: my newest gluten-free finger food creation!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
No gluten? No problem! Create a tasty canapé appetizer on a slice of apple instead of a slice of baguette or cracker. Topped with whipped feta cheese, toasted hazelnuts and drizzled with honey, this delicious finger food appetizer will be appreciated by your gluten-free friends.
If you've been a reader of mine for a while, you'll know that I love to create finger food appetizers. Crostini appetizers are a favourite of mine. It's fun to dream up different combinations to top a small slice of toasted baguette.
While I use a wheat or multi-grain baguette when serving my friends, I often use a gluten-free baguette for myself or those who are following a gluten-free diet. You'll find lots of crostini appetizer ideas in this 5 Tips for Making Crostini Ultimate Guide.
But this recipe for Whipped Feta Apple Hazelnut Crostini is made without bread! An apple slice makes a perfectly delicious firm base for all those yummy toppings.
Ready to make this gluten-free apple hazelnut canapé? You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts when you scroll down to the recipe card below.
apples: any variety of sweet apples will be best in this appetizer recipe.
hazelnuts: Youll chop and toast these to bring out their earthy flavour.
honey: Honey adds a natural sweetness, and acts as the "glue" to hold everything together. For a spicier drizzle with a little heat, try hot honey!
whipped feta spread: This is an amazing spread made with feta and cream cheese, flavoured with lemon, honey and thyme.
🔪 Step-by-step instructions
- First, make the Whipped Feta Spread. Combine equal parts of feta cheese and cream cheese in a mini food processor or blender. Flavour it with a little lemon juice, lemon zest and honey and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Next, spread this whipped feta cheese mixture on sweet apple slices, top with chopped toasted hazelnuts, and finally, drizzle with honey or hot honey.
- So simple, so delicious, and best of all, gluten-free!
❓What kind of apple is best for crostini or canapés?
A sweet variety is best for this apple crostini so it will contrast with the salty feta cheese. Try Honeycrisp, Gala, Fuji, Pink Lady, or other sweet variety available where you live.
🗒 More crostini recipe ideas
- Roasted Cherry Goat Cheese Crostini
- Smoked Salmon Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese
- Cranberry Whipped Ricotta Crostini
- 5 Tips for Making Crostini - Ultimate Guide
🗒 More gluten-free finger food recipes
If you love making finger foods like these Apple Hazelnut Canapés, you've come to the right site, because I do too! I have several recipes for crostini appetizers and small bites. These party snack recipes might be what you're looking for!
- 7 Holiday Spiced Nuts Recipes
- How to Make an Antipasto Platter
- Showstopper Tropical Fruit Nut and Cheese Platter
- Healthy Appetizers and Finger Foods Index
- Mini Cheese Balls on a Stick: Fun Finger Food
Whipped Feta Apple Hazelnut Canapés
- 2 medium apples, a sweet variety like Gala or Honeydrisp
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 ½ tablespoon honey, for drizzling
Whipped Feta Cheese
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup cream cheese, regular or low-fat
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- sprigs fresh thyme
- Chop hazelnuts and toast in a dry skillet until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine the Whipped Feta Cheese ingredients in a mini food processor or blender.
- Slice an apple into ¼ inch thick slices. You have two choices: core the apple and cut the slices so they'll have a hole in the center like a doughnut, or slice "cookies" from the sides of the apple. To prevent browning, rub both sides of each slice with the cut side of a lemon, or toss in a ziplock bag with a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Spread a little of the cheese mixture on each of the apple slices.
- Top with chopped toasted hazelnuts, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with a few fresh thyme leaves and serve.
They were great. Thank you!
Flavour & Savour
You're welcome, Adina! Thanks for letting me know you liked them!
A great idea to use apple slices as a base! I made these for my last party so that I'd have something for my friends who are gluten-free. They're so good!
Flavour & Savour
Thanks! I love that crisp apple "cookie" base!