The best garlic parmesan chicken wings, cooked to crispy perfection in an air fryer. These air fryer wings are juicy inside and perfectly crispy outside due to a magic ingredient! An always popular bar or pub snack, now you can easily make them at home in an air fryer or in your oven.
These Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings are an occasional treat in our home. While we don't eat chicken wings often, sometimes it's great to have a treat, and these are the ones I've been choosing to make lately!
In the winter, Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings find their way to our appy trays. Honey Lime Garlic Wings and Chipotle Honey Mustard Glazed Chicken Wings are favourites for summer picnics. This week, however, I'm all over these air fryer wings with the most delicious garlic parmesan sauce!
chicken wings: split into wingettes and drumettes so they'll fit in an air fryer
Parmesan cheese: fresh, finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano is best but the powdered sprinkle-style Parmesan cheese that comes in a plastic container can be substituted. Shredded Parmesan sold in plastic packages will not work as well. Some pre-grated cheese has a coating that may prevent it from melting and sticking to the wings.
garlic: fresh cloves or powdered garlic
baking powder: the "secret ingredient" that makes these wings so crispy
smoked paprika: adds a wonderful smoky spiciness and a warm colour
parsley: freshly chopped
To make these yummy Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings you'll fry the wings first to crisp them and then toss them with the sauce.
Pat them dry first. Removing moisture will help to make them crisp. Toss with a seasoning mix of garlic, onion, smoked paprika and baking powder, the secret ingredient that makes them deliciously crispy.
Arrange them in the basket of your air fryer in a single layer.
Cook for 10 minutes, then pause, remove the basket and use tongs to flip the wings. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or so, checking every 5 minutes. The great thing about an air fryer is that that you can pause and check the progress of your wings without worry.
While the wings are frying, melt the butter, add the remaining seasoning ingredients to make the garlic parmesan sauce and mix well. When the wings are done, toss them in the sauce, sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve!
Follow the air fryer instructions, but to bake, lay them in a single layer on a rack set over a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 400°F. for about 45 minutes, turning once part way through. Baking on a rack helps to keep them crispy as the air can circulate around them, just as it does in an air fryer.
Air fryers vary considerably in cooking time. I use the Ninja AF100 which has a fairly small basket. I've discovered it's best to set the timer for less time than a recipe recommends, check, and add more time if needed.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store leftover wings in the fridge. To reheat, place in the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 350°F. and check after 5 minutes.
Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings, split
- Pat the chicken wings dry.
- Brush 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. for 3 minutes.
- Combine the seasoning mix for the wings: salt and pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder.
- Toss the chicken wings in this seasoning mix until well coated.
- Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer. You may have to cook these in two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Set the temperature to 400°F. and the timer for 10 minutes.
- Check after 10 minutes, then use tongs to flip the wings over and cook for an additional 10 minutes, checking after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients. Melt butter, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Just before serving, toss the cooked wings with the Garlic Parmesan Sauce.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking toAmazon.com and affiliated sites.