Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad with Mango, Oranges, Avocado and Citrus Vinaigrette makes a complete dinner! Spicy chicken, sweet fruit, crunchy veggies and creamy avocado, all in one healthy tropical salad. Paleo.
Up your dinner salad game with this Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad! Remember those Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breasts I told you about? Next time you make them, make extra just so you can make this Jamaican-inspired Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad.
Denis and I agreed this chicken is even better in a salad than it is on its own!
Why? This salad has perfectly balanced flavours. Spicy chicken, sweet fruit, crunchy veggies and creamy avocado, all in one healthy dinner salad.
I bought a new cookbook last week called Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking. It outlines how important it is to include and balance those four elements in every dish you make.
In this Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad, the jerk seasoning provides the salt and the heat, the avocado gives us healthy fat, and the oranges, lime and citrus vinaigrette give this salad necessary acid.
While it's great to analyze this recipe, we simply loved the contrast of flavour, texture and colour in this salad.
A chicken salad makes a complete, healthy meal
We like the peanut flavours in this Easiest Chicken Satay Salad,
the Tex-Mex heat in this Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad
the Italian influences in this Balsamic Glazed Chicken Salad with Fresh Figs
and South American flavours in 30-Minute Chimichurri Chicken Dinner Salad
But with a recent trip to the Caribbean, we're relishing those spicy Jamaican flavours!
Let's make dinner! Here's a list of what you'll need.
- chicken breast
- fresh greens
- an orange
- red bell pepper: optional
- red onion
- homemade citrus vinaigrette: olive oil. lime juice, orange juice, garlic
Prep once, eat twice!
This recipe is designed to use leftover chicken from these Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breasts. Cook the chicken in an instant pot or bake it in the oven and save some to shred and use to make this lunch or dinner salad.
Arrange a bowl with a bed of fresh greens, mango or other tropical fruit and avocado and shredded jerk chicken. Drizzle with a simple Citrus Vinaigrette and serve right away. This low-carb, gluten-free jerk chicken salad with mango totally satisfies.
Customize this Jerk Chicken Salad
Don't like your chicken too spicy? You can easily adjust the heat in this recipe by reducing the amount of jerk seasoning you use.
No mangos available? Substitute your favourite tropical fruit, like pineapple, papaya, kiwi, or star fruit.
Use whatever crispy greens you have on hand.
Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad
- 1 large Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast boneless, skinless (or 2 small)
- 3 cups lettuce greens, chopped
- 1 large orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 mango, sliced thinly
- 1/2 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced in rings
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients together and set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Shred Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast with two forks or with an electric mixer. Arrange salad ingredients in bowls or on a large serving platter. Top with shredded chicken. Toss or serve with dressing on the side.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.