Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad with Mango, Oranges, Avocado and Citrus Vinaigrette. Perfectly balanced flavours in a healthy tropical salad. Paleo.
Up your dinner salad game with this Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad!
Remember those Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breasts I told you about? Next time you make them, make extra just so you can make this Jerk Chicken Salad. Denis and I agreed this chicken is even better in a salad than it is on its own!
Why? Perfectly balanced flavours. Spicy chicken, sweet fruit, crunchy veggies and creamy avocado, all in one healthy dinner salad.
I bought a new cookbook last week called Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking. It outlines how important it is to include and balance those four elements in every dish you make.
In this Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad, the jerk seasoning provides the salt and the heat, the avocado gives us healthy fat, and the oranges, lime and citrus vinaigrette give this salad necessary acid.
While it’s great to analyze this recipe, we simply loved the contrast of flavour, texture and colour in this salad.
Dinner salads are a “thing” in our home.
We like the peanut flavours in this Easiest Chicken Satay Salad,
the Tex-Mex heat in this Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad
and the Italian influences in this Balsamic Glazed Chicken Salad with Fresh Figs.
But with a recent trip to the Caribbean, we’re relishing those spicy tropical island flavours (and wishing we were back there!)
Prep once, eat twice!
This recipe is designed to use leftover chicken from these Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breasts. Make it in an instant pot, or bake it in the oven and save some to shred and use to make this lunch or dinner salad.
Arrange in a bowl with fresh greens, tropical fruit and avocado and drizzle with a simple Citrus Vinaigrette. This low-carb, gluten-free jerk chicken salad totally satisfies.
Customize this Jerk Chicken Salad
You can easily adjust the heat in this recipe by reducing the amount of jerk seasoning you use. Substitute your favourite tropical fruit, like pineapple, papaya, kiwi, or star fruit.
Caribbean Shredded Jerk Chicken Salad
- 1 large Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless (or 2 small)
- 3 cups lettuce greens,, chopped
- 1 large orange,, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 mango,, sliced thinly
- 1/2 avocado,, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cucumber,, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper,, sliced in rings
- 2 tbsp red onion, , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil,, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp lime juice,, freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp orange juice,, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper,, to taste
- Whisk Citrus Vinaigrette ingredients together and set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Shred Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast with two forks or with an electric mixer. Arrange salad ingredients in bowls or on a large serving platter. Top with shredded chicken. Toss or serve with dressing on the side.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.