This Keto Blackberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad is an easy dinner salad that's perfect for summertime suppers! It combines chicken breasts, greens, crisp veggies, buttery avocado, nuts and blackberries with a rich blackberry balsamic vinaigrette.
Ready to try one of my best keto chicken salads? This Blackberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad has an appetizing blend of sweet and savory flavours. Tossed with a dressing made with rich balsamic vinegar and sweet blackberries, it's an ideal summertime dinner salad.
And . . . it's Keto and Paleo!
Crunchy veggies, creamy avocado and juicy chicken on a bed of healthy salad greens form the base for this salad. Top it with fresh blackberries and then drizzle it all with a tangy, rich Blackberry Balsamic Dressing.
Boom! Dinner is done!
Not only is it quick, but you'll be eating one of the most nutritious berries you can find. Blackberries burst with antioxidants, they're rich in Vitamins, C, K and A and they're an excellent source of fiber. Brain health? They may promote that too.
A definite plus for us as we age!
Note: I held off on the dressing to take the photos, but added a lot more before dinner time!
Ready? Let's make a shopping list.
- chicken breasts: boneless, skinless
- seasonings for chicken: thyme, salt and pepper
- salad greens: mixed. I used a spring mix and added cabbage and radicchio for colour
- cruciferous veggies: broccoli and cauliflower florets. You can blanch them if you'd like. I like them raw so I didn't bother.
- avocado: just one to share
- pecans: or walnuts, or your favourite nuts or seeds
- fresh blackberries
- Blackberry Balsamic Dressing: find the easy blender recipe below
- First, make the dressing. No cooking required. Simply add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, then blend until smooth.
- Next, cook the chicken on a grill, or sear it in a skillet and then finish cooking it in the oven.
- While the chicken breasts are cooking, arrange the salad ingredients in two shallow bowls.
- Let the cooked chicken rest for a few minutes to seal in all the juicy goodness, then slice and add to the salad. Don't miss this resting step. It makes a big difference to how moist the chicken will be.
- Drizzle your salad generously with Blackberry Balsamic Dressing and serve right away.
- Substitute other low-carb veggies for the broccoli and cauliflower. Try sliced bell peppers, cucumbers or zucchini.
- Add your favourite nuts or seeds.
- Serve on a bed of spinach instead of mixed greens.
Cut open a blackberry and you'll discover why. Depending on the variety of blackberry you have, some are quite red inside, even when their exterior is black.
This blackberry balsamic chicken salad holds up well when leftover. Using crisp romaine and crunchy raw vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower help to keep it fresh the following day. Add avocado just before serving, as it will turn brown if left exposed to the air. Store in a covered container in the fridge.
More chicken dinner salad recipes
Dinner salads make an easy, nutritious meal. Some of our other favourite chicken salads are:
Blackberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
Grilled Chicken Breasts
- 2 medium chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
Blackberry Balsamic Dressing
- ½ cup blackberries
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce or coconut aminos (for paleo)
- 1.5 tsp sweetener Monkfruit with erythritol (keto), honey (paleo) agave or sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
Blackberry Balsamic Dressing
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
Grilled Chicken Salad
- Brush chicken breasts with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried thyme, salt and pepper. Sear on a greased grill (or in an oven-proof skillet) on each side for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a 425°F. oven to finish cooking for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer shows an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes
- While chicken is cooking, arrange salad greens, vegetables, pecans and blackberries in bowls.
- Top with sliced chicken breasts and drizzle with Blackberry Balsamic Dressing.