Celebrate the season with this simple Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria flavoured with fresh cranberries and apples. This one is a crowd-pleaser for any season!
Any Spaniard will tell you that Sangria is not just a summertime drink. Adding seasonal fruit to a red or white wine is an ideal way to celebrate in the fall and winter months too! This Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria tops my list of favourite ways to celebrate the season.
This red wine sangria is perfect for Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving, Christmas or any time you want to celebrate!
This simple-to-make Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria is not too sweet, but not too tart, once you add a little honey or some simple syrup. I used pure, unfiltered cranberry juice and apple cider with no added sweeteners or preservatives, produced right here in British Columbia.
Hard apple cider vs. soft apple cider
Apple cider can be “hard” or “soft.” Hard cider is a fermented, alcoholic drink, but soft cider, (also called fresh cider), is unfiltered and non-alcoholic. It differs from apple juice in that it has not been filtered to remove coarse particles, so it appears a little cloudy. It is naturally sweet, but often has more of a tang than apple juice that has been filtered.
It’s perfect when combined with cranberry juice in this sangria.
If you’ve been a reader of mine for awhile, you probably already know that sangria is my favourite drink! I sampled it in almost every tapa bar we visited during our recent trip to Spain, and NEVER tired of it! I had my most memorable glass (oh, so good!) when we were savouring Seville. I’ve done my best to create different sangria recipes ever since.
Why you’ll love this Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria
- it’s not too sweet, but not too tart
- the base can be made ahead of time. Just add sparkling water when you’re ready to serve.
- adding fruits in season, like apples and cranberries makes it festive!
Cranberry Apple Cider Sangria
- 1 750ml (26 oz) bottle red wine
- 3 cups soft apple cider (non-alcoholic)
- 1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup honey* (or 1/2 cup simple syrup (or 1/2 cup simple syrup made by heating equal parts of sugar and water over medium heat until dissolved)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- sparkling water to top off
- 1 cup freshly diced red and/or green apple cubes
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Combine red wine, apple cider (or pure apple juice) cranberry juice, orange liqueur and honey (or simple syrup) in a large pitcher.
- Add cranberries and diced unpeeled apples.
- Serve over ice, if desired, filling glasses 3/4 full and topping off with some sparkling water.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and a straw.
Kitchen Items I Recommend
Stemless wine glasses are ideal for Sangria! Red and white stemless wine glasses available on amazon.
Celebrate year-round with these other sangria recipes, too!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.