Sugar-free Pineapple-Ginger Agua Fresca is the most refreshing drink for summertime sipping! Made with juicy, golden fresh or frozen pineapple and fresh ginger root, this Mexican mocktail is a great way to hydrate!
Agua fresca is a refreshing drink popular in Mexico, Central America and thanks to those countries, now in North America! It's a blended drink made with fresh fruit, water, sweetener and usually lime juice. Agua fresca simply translates to "fresh water."
This pineapple-ginger agua fresca recipe substitutes fresh ginger root for the lime juice to give it an extra refreshing zing!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Sugar-free pineapple-ginger agua fresca is a non-alcoholic drink or mocktail perfect for both adults and kids.
- Easy to make with fresh or frozen pineapple and a blender.
- You can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge.
- This recipe is easy to scale up to serve a large group.
- Sipping agua fresca in the summertime is a great way to hydrate.
- Adding fresh ginger to drinks like this Peach Ginger Iced Green Tea and Lemon Ginger Tea adds amazing flavour and it's a healthy addition, too.
- It's one more recipe to add to your collection of Easy Fruity Mocktail Recipes!
🛒 Ingredients and substitutions
- pineapple: fresh, very ripe juicy pineapple will give you the best results. However, I have also made this with frozen pineapple that I had frozen at the peak of ripeness. Note that the pineapple in the photo above was not the one I used in this recipe as it was underripe.
- ginger root: freshly grated ginger root gives the very best flavour.
- sweetener: Use 0-calorie Monkfruit sweetener or maple syrup or agave to keep this drink sugar-free. (Of course, you can use granulated sugar, too.)
- water: use cold, filtered water.
- garnish with a slice of lime, pineapple spears or cubes, and a sprig of mint.
Here's an overview of what you'll do to make this recipe perfectly. You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Start by removing the green spiky top from a fresh pineapple. Remove the skin by slicing down from the top to the bottom. Remove the "eyes" as they are tough and indigestible. Slice into long spears, then into chunks.
- Add the pineapple chunks to a blender with part of the water and purée until smooth. You may have to work in batches or use the tamper to help purée the fruit.
- Add finely grated ginger and sweetener and blend until smooth.
Add the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl to remove the pulp from the pineapple and the ginger. Taste and add more sweetener if you like.
- Once strained, pour the pineapple ginger agua fresca into a large pitcher, then over ice into tall glasses. Garnish with pineapple, lime and mint if you'd like.
🔁 Possible Variations
Make it a cocktail! Add an ounce or two of vodka or tequila to your glass before adding the agua fresca.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
Your agua fresca will only be as good as the fruit you use! Choose a very ripe golden, juicy pineapple to make the best, naturally sweet drink.
Start with a small amount of ginger. You can always add more.
Keep it chilled. Freeze some of the juice in ice cube trays to add to a large pitcher just before serving. Adding frozen juice instead of ice prevents it from becoming diluted.
You could also add frozen pineapple chunks instead of ice cubes.
Garnish your Mexican drink with a pineapple spear or wedge, or add a slice of lime and a sprig of mint leaves.
You'll need a blender to make this summertime drink. If you use a high-speed blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you may not need to strain it. Leaving it without straining also leaves some of the healthy fiber in the drink and you'll have a refreshing drink with a pulpy froth on top.
However, I've tried it both ways in my Vitamix and I preferred the strained version. It's less like a smoothie and more like a mocktail!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Serve this refreshing sugar-free pineapple ginger agua fresca with your favourite Mexican meals. I especially like it with any of the following spicy southern dishes:
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas or Chicken Fajitas in Foil Packets
Shredded Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Skinny Chopped Chicken Taco Salad
or with a big bowl of tortilla chips with guacamole and pico de gallo!
⏰ Storage Instructions
To store: Keep it chilled in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To freeze: Freeze in a covered container for up to 3 months.
🗒 More refreshing drink recipes
This recipe was slightly adapted from Pineapple Ginger Agua Fresca on Epicurious.
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I love hearing from you! Thanks in advance. Subscribe to my newsletter and receive new recipes delivered straight to your inbox.
Sugar-Free PIneapple-Ginger Agua Fresca
- 5 cups pineapple cubes, fresh or frozen
- 4 cups cold filtered water, divided
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, finely grated
- ½ cup sweetener, Monkfruit, maple syrup, or agave.
- mint leaves, lime slices, pineapple spears, for garnish
- Remove the top and base of a fresh, very ripe pineapple and remove the skin and eyes.
- Slice into spears and then cubes, reserving a few cubes or spears for garnish.
- Add the pineapple cubes to a blender with 1 cup water and blend until smooth. You may have to use a tamper or purée the pineapple in batches.
- Add the sweetener and grated ginger and blend until smooth. Add the remaining 3 cups of water and blend.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl to remove the pulp.
- Pour the strained mixture into tall glasses filled with ice. Garnish and serve!
I liked your Watermelon Lemonade so much that I decided to try this Agua Fresca too. My hubby and I loved it. So refreshing.
Thanks Meg! I'm happy to hear it's a five-star recipe in your home! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.