The first spoonful of this carrot ginger soup is always followed by "Mmm . . ." Its velvety smooth texture with hints of ginger, orange and apple has made this vegan carrot ginger soup recipe our family's favourite for many years. It's creamy without any cream! Simmer on the stovetop, blend and serve! Freeze leftovers for another day.
This Carrot Ginger Soup is our family's favourite. Honestly, every time I've made it, there is a quiet, calm chorus of "mmmm . . ." after the first spoonful. It's the kind of soup you want to savour around the fireplace when you come home after a chilly day.
While I sometimes enjoy stirring and watching a soup develop its flavour, on other days I'm in a hurry to get dinner on the table. If this sounds like you, you'll like my recipe for Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apples. I've adapted this recipe to cook quickly in your Instant Pot.
❤️ Why this recipe works
- This carrot ginger soup has just enough sweetness from the apples, the right amount of interest from the orange zest, and the perfect level of kick from the ginger.
- With no added dairy, it's a vegan carrot soup, too!
- No cream, no cashew cream, no coconut milk, just a smooth and creamy texture from oven-roasted carrots! It's rich and slightly sweet.
Before we get to the full carrot ginger soup recipe below, here are a few notes about the ingredients you'll need.
This recipe makes enough to serve eight. You can easily halve this recipe or you can make the full amount and freeze what you don't need right away. The photo below shows what you'll need for a half quantity (four servings).
- fresh carrots: For the best flavour, use the freshest carrots you can find! You'll roast these first to give your soup incredible flavour.
- fresh thyme and parsley
- garlic cloves and onion: for rich, deep flavour
- fresh ginger: you'll finely grate this and add it for freshness
- apples (or pears): any variety
- low sodium vegetable broth: you can substitute chicken broth if not vegan
- orange zest: a small amount adds a burst of bright flavour, so be sure to include it!
This vegan carrot ginger soup recipe is quick and easy to make.
- Start by tossing peeled and chopped carrots with olive oil and seasonings.
- Arrange these on a baking sheet along with peeled garlic cloves. Roast until tender.
Meanwhile, sauté onions in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- When soft and translucent, add the grated ginger and roughly chopped apples to the pot.
- Add the vegetable broth, then stir in the orange zest.
- Next, add the roasted carrots and garlic cloves, bring the soup to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer.
- Purée in batches in a high-speed blender, adding more broth if you like a thinner soup.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with finely chopped parsley or thyme leaves (or check this post listing Healthy Soup Topping Ideas for more topping options.
👍🏼 Elaine's Tips
Roasting the carrots and garlic may seem like an unnecessary step in this recipe, but you'll be surprised at how much it enhances and intensifies their flavour! This recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange uses the same technique.
Take care not to brown the onions too much, as they may add bitterness to the soup. You just want to soften them until they are translucent. Scoop out any that may have become too dark.
Let the soup cool slightly before adding it in batches to the blender, filling the blender only half full each time. Be careful, as the steam that escapes from the top will be hot.
🔁 Possible Variations
As mentioned above, you can substitute ripe pears for the apples if you'd like. They'll add a subtle sweetness to this carrot soup.
Add ½ cup of orange juice if you'd like extra orange flavour.
🥶 Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store leftover soup in the fridge for up to 3 days. This soup freezes well. For longer storage, freeze in an airtight container using the size that fits best for your family.
If it's a warm-fire-and-bowl-of-soup kind of day, then it's a carrot ginger soup kind of day! For more soup inspiration, see my Soup and Chowder category.
🗒 More healthy soup recipes
This recipe was originally published in 2015. I've updated it with new photos and extra information to make it more helpful.
When you make this vegan carrot soup with ginger, please leave me a comment and a star rating. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
Family Favourite Carrot Ginger Soup
- 4 pounds fresh carrots, peeled and chopped (about 8 heaping cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 medium apples, (or pears) peeled and finely chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped, for optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel and chop the carrots into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the peeled garlic cloves and fresh thyme leaves, a sprinkling of pepper and salt and a drizzle of olive oil, then toss well to coat. Arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Bake until tender and slightly browned, about 30 minutes, tossing at least once during baking time.
- While the carrots are roasting, heat the oil over medium high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and the diced apple and sauté for another 3 minutes before adding the vegetable broth.
- Stir in the orange zest.
- Once the carrots are roasted and tender, add them to the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or preferably a high-speed blender.
- Add more vegetable broth as needed to thin the soup.
- Ladle into bowls or soup shot glasses, garnish with fresh thyme leaves and/or finely chopped parsley, and serve.
Have you made this with regular broth and not low sodium? If so, was it overwhelmingly salty? Or is this just a preference?
Hi Hollie, Yes, I've made it with regular broth, too, and it wasn't too salty. Thanks for your question! Enjoy.
I've made this many times, but have never commented, until now! It's a definite keeper and I love that I can freeze it, too. Thanks.
You're so welcome! I love this soup too. I just made it again on the weekend!
Just made a double batch and will freeze half. Thanks for helping me out with meal prep ideas!
Great idea! Thanks for commenting!
What kind of apples do you use?
Flavour & Savour
I use whatever type I have on hand, usually a sweet variety like Honeycrisp, Gala or Fuji. I’ve also used pears. Does that help? Enjoy!
This recipe is a fast family favourite. A weekly staple even. It's filling, and the orange zest and ginger make this a standout!
Flavour & Savour
I make this one regularly too. It's definitely a favourite in my home. Thanks for commenting! 🙂
This soup is SO delicious. It freezes well and is surprisingly filling. It is definitely a 'go-to soup' any time of year.