The first spoonful of this paleo carrot-ginger soup is always followed by "Mmmmm . . ."
This Carrot-Ginger Soup is our family's favourite. Honestly, every time I've made it, there is a quiet, calm chorus of "mmmm . . ." after the first spoonful. It has just enough sweetness from the apples, the right amount of interest from the orange zest, and the perfect level of kick from the ginger. With no added dairy, it's vegan too.
Baby, it's cold outside. Rainy, cloudy, damp, chill-you-to-the-bone cold. The kind of cold that we West-Coasters dread. I know it can't be compared to those way-below-zero temperatures that some of you are experiencing in other parts of the continent, but this kind of seaside cold stays with you long after you've come inside.
It's a warm-fire-and-bowl-of-soup kind of day. A carrot-ginger soup kind of day.
This carrot-ginger soup is quick and easy to make.
Just roast some carrots and garlic in the oven, sauté onions, ginger and apples, add some broth, toss in those roasted carrots, then season, simmer, purée in a blender and serve. So easy and smooth. So warm and comforting.
While I don't like this weather, I do find the winter landscapes here strangely beautiful. There's a haunting feeling on a misty day near the ocean.
This carrot-ginger soup was the perfect warm-me-up meal after a seaside walk. Hope you like it too.
Our Favourite Carrot-Ginger Soup
- 4 pounds fresh carrots peeled and chopped (about 8 heaping cups)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra-virgin
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 medium apples (or pears) peeled and finely chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Chop the carrots into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the peeled garlic cloves and fresh thyme leaves, a sprinkling of pepper and salt and a drizzle of olive oil, then toss well to coat. Arrange on a large baking sheet.
- Bake until tender and slightly browned, about 30 minutes, tossing at least once during baking time.
- While the carrots are roasting, heat the oil over medium high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and the diced apple and sauté for another 3 minutes before adding the vegetable broth.
- Stir in the orange zest.
- Once the carrots are roasted and tender, add them to the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or preferably a high-speed blender.
- Add more vegetable broth as needed to thin.
- Ladle into bowls or soup shot glasses, garnish and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.