This hearty recipe for slow cooker lentil and sausage stew combines lentils, vegetables, cooked sausage, and herbs in a rich tomato-based broth. This flavourful stew is gluten-free, dairy-free and so delicious! An easy "dump-and-go" slow cooker stew recipe.
❤️ Why you'll love this slow cooker recipe
- Set it and forget it! Like this slow cooker vegan black bean soup, this is a "dump-and-go recipe." Chop the vegetables and add all ingredients to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- It's naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- It's easy to make it a vegetarian or vegan stew.
- Nutritious lentils, flavourful veggies and spicy sausage combine to make a flavourful dish.
Hearty soups and stews like this lentil and sausage stew offer a winning combination of rich flavours and balanced nutrition.
Slow-cooked to perfection, they blend your favourite ingredients into a satisfying meal. Stews are easy to adapt to accommodate various dietary preferences, they're convenient for batch cooking, and they make the most delicious comfort food.
Here are a few notes about the ingredients you'll need to make this lentil and sausage stew. You'll find a complete list with amounts in the recipe card below.
- chicken broth: homemade or store-bought chicken stock. Since sausages are often salty, I like to use low-sodium broth.
- diced canned tomatoes: You'll use the liquid in the can as well, so don't drain the tomatoes.
- chicken or turkey sausages or plant-based sausages (gluten-free): These need to be fully cooked. Use your favourite sausages. I usually use a locally made gluten-free Italian sausage or Beyond Meat sausages. Choosing a spicy sausage works well in this recipe to complement the earthy flavour of lentils.
- dried brown lentils, rinsed
- onion: a medium white onion
- carrot: a large carrot ( or two medium)
- celery: a couple of stalks
- fresh garlic cloves
- dried thyme
- fresh parsley for garnish
This is a simple "dump-and-go" recipe. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high or until lentils are soft.
- Add broth, tomatoes, rinsed lentils, chopped vegetables, garlic and thyme to the bowl of a slow cooker.
2. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high or until lentils are soft.
🔁 Substitutions and Variations
- Vegetables: add other favourite vegetables, like green beans, corn, baby potatoes or other root vegetables. Stir in baby spinach leaves during the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time.
- Sausage: Use your favourite sausages (fully cooked beforehand.)
- Keep it vegetarian: omit the sausage, or use plant-based sausage.
- Keep it vegan: Leave out the sausage or use plant-based sausage and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You may want to add more herbs and spices like paprika or smoked paprika to bump up the flavour.
Owning a slow cooker offers the convenience of effortless meal preparation. With minimal hands-on involvement, it transforms simple ingredients into flavourful, tender dishes. A crock pot's low and slow cooking method not only enhances taste but also retains nutrients. (affiliate link)
A slow-cooker's time-saving nature is a dream for busy days, as it allows for set-and-forget cooking!
🍽 What to serve with Lentil Stew
- Crusty Bread: A slice of crusty bread (gluten-free if necessary), is perfect for dipping into the stew and soaking up all the delicious flavours. If you have a few minutes, make a quick batch of Gluten-Free Herbed Baking Powder Biscuits or Gluten-free Cornbread to go with it.
- Green Salad: Add a fresh green salad with a simple oil and vinegar dressing.
- Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream: A dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream on top of the stew adds a little creamy tang. Omit to keep this recipe dairy-free.
- Fresh Herbs: Chopped fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, or chives provide a pop of colour.
- Cheese: Grated Parmesan or a sprinkle of your favourite cheese is never a bad idea (omit, of course, to keep this stew dairy-free.)
Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Lentil soups and stews freeze well. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 months or longer and have a nutritious meal ready to thaw and serve!
👍🏼 Top tip
If you plan to substitute plant-based sausage, check the label. Many plant-based meat substitutes contain gluten.
In general, lentil soup has more broth or liquid than lentil stew. It can be completely liquified or puréed or have lentils and veggies submerged in liquid.
Lentil stew usually has just enough liquid to cover the main ingredients and often has a chunkier texture.
Love using your slow cooker? Here are a few more handy slow cooker recipes to try.
Slow Cooker Recipes
These are my favorite dishes to serve with lentil stew:
🌟 Did you make this lentil stew with sausage?
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance!
Slow Cooker Lentil and Sausage Stew
- 32 oz (1 liter) chicken broth store-bought or homemade
- 1 28 oz can (796 ml) diced tomatoes, with herbs and spices (don't drain)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz. (0.3 kg) fully cooked chicken sausage links, in thick slices
- 1 teapoon dried thyme or 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt or Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Chop the onion and vegetables, mince the garlic, and slice the cooked sausage.
- Add the broth, tomatoes with their liquid and all remaining ingredients except fresh parsley and salt and pepper to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 7.5 to 8 hours or 4 hours on high or until the lentils are tender.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.