Full of rich creamy, cheesy flavour, and loaded with broccoli, this gluten-free Broccoli White Cheddar Soup cooks quickly in an Instant Pot. This easy Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup recipe is a family favourite, especially on chilly nights.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is on the menu today! Is there anything NOT to love about a warm bowl of broccoli cheese soup? With a velvety smooth cheese sauce, this is a recipe your whole family will love.
❤️ Why this recipe works
- Full of veggies: This broccoli cheese soup is thick and rich and full of chunky texture from loads of broccoli and carrots.
- A great recipe for meal prep: Not only does it taste delicious, but you can also make this a meal-prep dish by doubling the recipe and freezing half for another day!
- Quick, easy-to-make meals like this broccoli soup are essential for busy days.
- Healthy broccoli: With a low glycemic index and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber, broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrients. Who can go wrong with cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetables like broccoli?
- Instant Pot convenience: Not only does an Instant Pot cook things quickly, it intensifies the flavour of the food you add to it. Moreover, nothing is lost because it's not overcooked.
- No gaseous veggies here! Broccoli keeps its nutrients, flavour, and even much of its colour in this instant pot soup recipe.
Check this list and gather your ingredients to make this wholesome broccoli cheese soup!
- veggies: onion, carrots, broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- seasonings: garlic, paprika, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper
- dairy: cheddar cheese and whole milk (or light or heavy cream), butter
- chicken broth: or chicken bone broth
- gluten-free flour: to thicken the soup
- olive oil: to sauté the onion and carrots
You'll find complete step-by-step instructions in the recipe card below. Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this broccoli cheddar soup.
- You'll start by using the sauté setting for sautéing the onions and carrots in your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. Once they're softened, add the garlic, the gluten-free flour blend, and the chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Next, add the broccoli, close the lid, seal, and set your Instant Pot for 8 minutes. When time is up, release the pressure with the Quick Release function.
- Remove the lid, add paprika, Dijon mustard, and stir in the grated cheddar, milk (or heavy cream.) Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve!
👍🏼 Helpful tips
- Use a julienne peeler, a food processor, or the coarse shredding side of a box grater to grate the carrots.
- Use a good quality sharp cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. I prefer an aged white cheddar as it adds so much flavour to this soup. Just like wine, a cheese soup will only be as good as the cheese you add to it.
- While bags of pre-grated or pre-shredded cheese may be convenient, the cheese in them doesn't melt as well. The bags contain additives designed to prevent the cheese from clumping together, but these agents tend to cause the cheese to resist melting.
- When you add the broccoli to the Instant Pot, lay it on top of the soup instead of stirring it in. In this way, it will keep its shape a little better and add some chunky texture to the soup.
- Keep this broccoli cheese soup gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend to thicken it.
Frozen broccoli works well to make soup. There's no need to thaw it first. Simply add it to the pot as directed in the recipe.
🍽 Serving suggestions
Garnish: This broccoli cheddar soup is loaded with cheese, so you won't need to garnish it with more. I sprinkled a little freshly chopped parsley on top, but fresh thyme would be delicious too. If you love a little heat, add a light sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes or freshly ground black pepper.
Crackers: I like to serve this soup with these Super Seed Snack Crackers. They're packed full of nutritious seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia, and poppy seeds. With lots of crunch in every bite, they're a perfect accompaniment to this creamy cheese soup.
Bread or Biscuits: Or try it with this skillet-baked Gluten-Free Cheesy Herb Cornbread or Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits. I sometimes have it with these Mini Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheese Muffins, Gluten-Free Zucchini Cheddar Muffins or a slice of crusty bread.
Sandwich and Coleslaw: Serve it with a classic grilled cheese sandwich, and a side of Crunchy Cabbage Coleslaw.
🥶 Storage and Freezing Instructions
This pressure cooker soup freezes beautifully. Portion it into airtight containers in the size you'll need for your family. Cover tightly, label, and freeze.
This soup will stay fresh for at least 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat it over low to medium heat on your stovetop.
Enjoy a warm, nutritious bowl of soup with your family this week!
🗒 More healthy Instant Pot recipes
If you love the incredible convenience of your Instant Pot, find more Instant Pot Soup recipe ideas here: 5 Clean-Eating Instant Pot Soup Recipes to keep you healthy.
🌟 Did you make this broccoli cheese soup?
When you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a 🌟 star rating below. I love hearing when you've made one of my recipes!
Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cups carrots, julienne cut or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend
- 3 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth or chicken bone broth
- 6 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup whole milk, or half and half, or heavy cream
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Press Sauté button and add butter and oil to the Instant Pot. Once melted, add the onion and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent and carrots have softened, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in flour until well combined. Add broth and stir until smooth.
- Add the broccoli and leave on top of the soup. Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Press the Cancel button to turn it off, then press the Manual button and set for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, use the Quick Release and allow the steam to escape. Open the lid and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the paprika and Dijon mustard. Add the cheese and stir until combined. Stir in the milk or half and half or cream. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or fresh thyme leaves and serve.