Full of rich creamy, cheesy flavour, and loaded with broccoli, this gluten-free Broccoli White Cheddar Soup cooks quickly in an Instant Pot. This easy pressure cooker recipe is a family favourite!
Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup is on the menu today! It’s thick and rich and full of chunky texture from loads of broccoli and carrots. What is there not to love about a warm bowl of broccoli cheese soup? Make it a meal-prep dish by doubling the recipe and freezing half for another day!
Lately I’ve appreciated how convenient it is to use my Instant Pot. Denis and I are spending lots of time in the car, traveling for daily cancer treatments. Quick, easy-to make meals like this broccoli soup are essential, and who can go wrong with cancer-fighting cruciferous vegetables like broccoli?
With a low glycemic index and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber, broccoli is a powerhouse of nutrients.
Not only does an Instant Pot cook things quickly, it intensifies the flavour of the food you add to it. Moreover, nothing is lost because it’s not overcooked. Broccoli keeps its nutrients, flavour and even much of its colour. No gaseous veggies here!
Tips for Making Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Use a julienne peeler to shred carrots for this soup recipe, but if you don’t have one, use the coarse shredding side of a box grater to grate the carrots instead.
Use a quality cheese and grate it yourself. I prefer an aged white cheddar as it adds so much flavour to this soup. Just like wine, a cheese soup will only be as good as the cheese you add to it.
While the bags of pre-grated cheese may be convenient, the cheese in them doesn’t melt as well. The bags contain additives designed to prevent the cheese from clumping together, but these agents tend to cause the cheese to resist melting.
When you add the broccoli, lay it on top of the soup instead of stirring it in. In this way, it will keep its shape a little better and add some chunky texture to the soup.
Keep this broccoli cheese soup gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend to thicken it.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
This broccoli cheddar soup is loaded with cheese, so you won’t need to garnish it with more. I sprinkled a little freshly chopped parsley on top, but fresh thyme would be delicious too.
I like to serve this soup with these Super Seed Snack Crackers. They’re packed full of nutritious seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia and poppy seeds. With lots of crunch in every bite, they’re a perfect accompaniment to this creamy cheese soup. Or try it with this skillet-baked Gluten-Free Cheesy Herb Cornbread or Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits. We sometimes have it with these Easy Low-Carb Keto Mini Buns, too.
Find more Instant Pot Soup recipe ideas here: 5 Clean-Eating Instant Pot Soup Recipes to keep you healthy.
Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 2 cups carrots julienne cut or grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth or chicken bone broth
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- sea salt and pepper
- Press Sauté button and add butter and oil to the Instant Pot. Once melted, add the onion and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent and carrots have softened, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in flour until well combined. Add broth and stir until smooth.
- Add the broccoli and leave on top of the soup. Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Press the Saute button to turn it off, then press the Manual button and set for 8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes, use the Quick Release and allow the steam to escape. Open the lid and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the paprika and Dijon mustard. Add the cheese and stir until combined. Stir in the milk or half and half. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or fresh thyme leaves and serve.
Kitchen Items I recommend
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.