This honey balsamic roasted acorn squash makes a tasty, colourful side dish for any special dinner. Takes less than 30 minutes to make. Great for holiday meals!
Comforting. Cozy. Warm and delicious! This side dish of Honey Balsamic Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts was part of our otherwise lackluster Tuesday night dinner, but it certainly could have been the star of a holiday dinner, too.
For being such a straightforward side, this vegetarian dish has amazing contrasts in flavour! And who can resist those colours, even if they just are squash and sprouts!
This recipe features a slightly sweet but tangy honey-balsamic glaze, creamy squash and tender roasted Brussels sprouts. Those roasted cranberries look like little jewels on top and add an element of surprise--always important in a recipe, in my opinion.
It's a quick and easy recipe, too. While cutting an acorn squash can sometimes be difficult, I have found it's easier to cut the squash in half lengthwise through the centre from tip to stem, remove the seeds, then cut the halves into slices about three-quarters of an inch thick. It's easier than trying to cut all the way through the squash to make complete rings.
I love recipes that feature butternut squash, like this Maple Dijon Roasted Butternut Squash and Butternut Squash Salad with Cranberries and Feta, but acorn squash slices have such beautiful shapes. Adding them to any side dish makes it more appealing. Try these tasty Garlic Parmesan-Crusted Roasted Acorn Squash slices, too!
Four easy steps to make honey balsamic roasted acorn squash and Brussels sprouts
- Cut the squash into half rings and remove the seeds.
- Transfer to a large bowl with trimmed Brussels sprouts, toss with honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and arrange on a prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 - 20 minutes, turning squash over once mid-way through, until the vegetables are nicely glazed and fork tender.
- Add cranberries during the last five minutes. They'll burst quite quickly and add a beautiful colour to your dish.
While it's hard to wax poetic about something as simple as honey balsamic roasted acorn squash, I really hope you'll try this recipe. Pin it to save this idea for your next holiday dinner, or do like we did and have it on a Tuesday night!
Honey Balsamic Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 12 small Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice squash into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices. Remove seeds.
- Combine olive oil, honey and Balsamic vinegar. Toss with squash and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 15 - 20 minutes, turning half way through, until squash is fork tender. Add cranberries for last 5 minutes of roasting time
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Love roasted vegetables? Try these Apple Cider Roasted Root Vegetables
Like this recipe for Honey Balsamic Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts? Pin it or share it!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.