These gluten-free Zucchini Cheddar Muffins explode with flavour thanks to the combination of sharp cheddar, garlic and green onion. This savoury zucchini cheese muffin recipe is made with a winning combo of almond flour and tapioca flour for a tender muffin with a cheesy, chewy top!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Cheese! This recipe makes a healthy savoury zucchini muffin with oodles of cheesy flavour! With cheese in the middle and chewy cheese on top, this zucchini cheddar muffin will satisfy any of the cheese monsters in your home.
- Your kitchen will smell heavenly when you bake a batch of these buttery, garlicky snack muffins!
- Great for any time of the day! These make a satisfying quick breakfast and they're also delicious with soups or stews. They're perfect with a bowl of Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup.
- It's a great way to use up zucchini! In late summer when gardens and farmer's markets are overflowing with summer squash, if you're like me, you're looking for ways to use it.
But adding zucchini to savoury recipes is my favourite way to use it.
You'll find a complete list of ingredients with amounts in the recipe card below. Here are a few notes.
almond flour: use finely ground almond flour, readily available in the baking section of most supermarkets.
tapioca flour: is also known as tapioca starch. It helps provide structure to gluten-free baking.
garlic powder and dry mustard: both are optional, but they add lots of delicious flavour to these savoury zucchini muffins.
zucchini: must be very well-drained to avoid soggy muffins.
cheese: these zucchini muffins are delicious with an "old" or sharp cheddar, but you can use half cheddar and half Parmesan if you prefer.
buttermilk: if you don't have any on hand, (and who does?) make your own in just a few minutes. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk (dairy or plant-based milk) as a buttermilk substitute. You can also replace it with yogurt.
- After preheating the oven and lining a muffin tin with parchment paper liners, you'll prepare your ingredients. Grate the zucchini and let it sit in a sieve or collander to drain while you chop the green onions (scallions) and grate the cheese.
- Next, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Combine the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Stir in the green onions and grated cheese, then gently fold in well-drained grated zucchini. Be sure to squeeze as much water as you can from the grated zucchini, using a clean teatowel or cheesecloth.
Divide the batter evenly between 12 large muffin cups. Top each with a small amount of grated cheese before baking.
Use parchment paper muffin liners or silicone muffin cups to bake these zucchini cheddar muffins. The cheese will stick to regular white paper muffin cups making the muffins difficult to remove.
Reserve ¼ cup of the grated cheese to add to the top of the muffins before baking.
🔁 Possible Variations
Adding garlic powder and/or dry mustard is optional, but they add lots of flavour.
You could also add a little heat by adding finely chopped jalapeño pepper or dried chili flakes.
No buttermilk on hand? Substitute milk or plant-based milk mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
🥶 Storage and Freezing Instructions
After the day these gluten-free zucchini cheddar muffins are baked, store them in a covered container in the fridge. You can gently reheat them in the microwave.
These muffins freeze beautifully, too. Freeze in a covered container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, then gently reheat in the microwave.
🗒 More gluten-free muffin recipes
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
📖 Recipe Card
Gluten Free Zucchini Cheddar Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour, finely ground
- ½ cup tapioca flour, (tapioca starch)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard optional
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk *see note
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cups zucchini, grated and well-drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line a 12-cavity muffin tin with parchment paper liners or silicone liners.
- Grate the zucchini and let it stand to drain.
- Melt the butter and set it aside to cool.
- Chop the green onions (scallions) and grate the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and melted and cooled butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Stir in the green onions (scallions) and grated cheese.
- Squeeze as much water as you can from the grated zucchini, using a clean teatowel or cheesecloth. Gently fold it in to the muffin batter.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin tins.
- Bake at 350°F. for 20 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Let sit in the muffin tin for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.