Using mashed cauliflower as a low-carb alternative to mashed potatoes will surprise you! With the silky texture of mashed potatoes and the delicate flavour of cauliflower, this keto dish is a crave-worthy side. It's loaded with crispy bacon and cheese.
This Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower may soon become your new favourite side dish! It's a popular alternative to mashed potatoes. Mashed cauliflower is delicious as a side and it makes a great topping for Shepherd's Pie, too.
Honestly, if you've never tried this substitute for mashed potatoes, you will be surprised at how delicious it is.
You might also like this recipe for All-time favourite Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole with Bacon.
Before we get to the full recipe for cauliflower mash, here are a few notes about some of the ingredients.
- cauliflower: one large head. When choosing cauliflower, look for a head that has fresh leaves. There should be no little brown spots forming on it.
- liquid: you can add water, chicken stock or vegetable stock to your Instant Pot to cook the cauliflower
- butter and sour cream: for extra rich creaminess and flavour!
- bacon: look for natural bacon that is nitrate-free and hormone-free.
- cheese: your choice: Parmesan, cheddar or your favourite cheese.
- garnish: parsley, chives, or green onions to top off your dish.
Wash a head of cauliflower and cut it into florets.
Place the steamer basket in the bowl of your Instant Pot, add the cauliflower, one cup of water or broth and cook for 3 minutes on Manual.
While it is cooking, cook the bacon, grate some Parmesan cheese and slice some chives, green onions or parsley.
When the cauliflower has finished cooking, use the Quick Release function to release the pressure. Remove the cauliflower and drain it very well on a paper towel or a clean tea towel.
Use an immersion blender or a food processor to purée the cauliflower with butter, sour cream, half the Parmesan and salt and pepper.
Transfer to a serving dish, top with the remaining Parmesan and bacon bits and bake at 375°F for 5 -7 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned and the mashed cauliflower is heated through.
Serve, topped with fresh chives, green onions or parsley.
Nothing is wrong with eating mashed potatoes and no, they're not bad for you.
Potatoes have been criticized because of their glycemic index. Nutritionists use this index to determine how quickly foods are broken down into sugars and deposited in your bloodstream.
Potatoes contain high-glycemic index carbohydrates which means they are broken down rapidly. Your body then releases insulin to counteract the sugar, which in turn may encourage your body to produce and store fat.
If you're trying to avoid blood sugar spikes, or if you're following a low-carbohydrate diet, you may have chosen to avoid potatoes.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It's high in fiber.
Cauliflower is also a good source of anti-oxidants, some of which are unique and may have the potential to stop cancer growth.
It is also a great substitute for grains. For example, one cup of cauliflower contains 5 grams of carbohydrates, while one cup of white rice has 45 grams, nine times as much!
If you haven't tried cauliflower rice, check out my post
3 Easy Steps to Make Cauliflower Rice.
👍🏼 Tips to introduce cauliflower mash to your family
You may want to start by mixing mashed cooked cauliflower with your mashed potatoes. You'll be getting a wider variety of vitamins and minerals and fewer net calories right off the bat.
Load them up with toppings your family can't refuse. Try bacon and cheese, or roasted garlic and fresh herbs. Spice it up by adding a little dry mustard powder to the mix. Once you get used to mashed cauliflower, you'll love it plain, too.
🔁 Can I make mashed cauliflower on the stovetop?
Yes! Cook cauliflower in a steamer basket or in boiling water until very tender. Drain very thoroughly, then follow the remaining recipe directions.
⏰ Can I make this Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower ahead of time?
Yes! After transferring it to a serving bowl and topping it with cheese and bacon, cover tightly and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven at 375°F. for 20 -30 minutes or until heated through.
🍽 What to serve with cauliflower mash
Are you convinced yet? I hope you get a chance to try this mashed cauliflower recipe soon. If you do, let me know what you think in the comment section below and leave a star rating. Thanks in advance!
Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
🗒 More side dish recipes
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower with Bacon and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 slices nitrate-free, hormone free bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup chives, green onions, or parsley, finely chopped
- Wash a head of cauliflower, remove the leaves and center core and cut into florets.
- Place the steamer basket into the bowl of your Instant Pot, add the cauliflower and 1 cup water or vegetable stock or chicken stock.
- Close the lid, set the valve to Sealing. Press the Manual button and adjust the time for 3 or 4 minutes, depending on the size of your head of cauliflower.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, cook the bacon strips, grate the cheese and chop some fresh parsley.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, use the Quick Release function to release the pressure. Open the lid.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the cauliflower and lay out on a double layer of paper towel or a clean tea towel. Lay another towel on top and very gently press out the excess moisture. Removing the moisture will prevent the finished dish from being watery.
- Mash the cauliflower in a bowl with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Add butter, sour cream, half the cheese, salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with remaining ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese and chopped or crumbled bacon. Bake in the oven at 375°F. for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add fresh chives or green onions (scallions) or parsley and serve.