This tender moist Mini Gluten-Free Pumpkin Loaf is allergen-free! Made with oat flour, almond flour and applesauce, it’s dairy-free and is made without refined sugar.
Mini gluten-free pumpkin loaf or pumpkin muffins: it’s your choice! This recipe works beautifully with either one.
These mini loaves get their delicate sweetness from applesauce and a zero-calorie sweetener. I use Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol, but Swerve will also work well. If you are not avoiding sugar, you can use the same amount of regular granulated sugar or coconut sugar.
As soon as the leaves start changing colour, I start thinking of apple cider, cozy crock pot meals, and making wholesome loaves and muffins. There’s something about cooler weather that makes me want to “nest” and spend time in the kitchen baking. I love the way my kitchen smells at this time of year! Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg . . . all those pumpkin spice aromas wafting through the house makes letting go of summer and welcoming fall that much easier.
This recipe for gluten-free mini pumpkin loaf uses homemade applesauce to add nutrition, moisture and natural sweetness. I simmer it in my slow cooker and freeze it in small glass Mason jars so I always have some ready for a recipe.
Homemade applesauce is so easy to make. Simply slice some apples (peel them, if you like), add a splash of lemon juice, half a cup of water and a cinnamon stick or a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon and let it cook on the stove top or in a slow cooker until the apples are tender. Then mash or purée it with a stick blender and transfer to jars to refrigerate or freeze.
Tips for baking Mini Gluten-Free Pumpkin Loaf or Muffins
Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry ingredients in another, then combine the two. To add even more flavour and interest, stir in half a cup of one of the following to the dry ingredients before combining. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the baked goods.
- dried unsweetened cranberries
- organic raisins
- dairy-free chocolate chips,
- finely chopped pecans or walnuts
Scoop into a baking pan of your choice. I used an 8-cavity non-stick mini loaf pan. Alternatively, you can use a regular muffin pan. This recipe yields 6 large mini loaves (that sounds like a contradiction!) or 8 good-sized muffins.
How to store muffins and loaves
Muffins or mini loaves will keep in an airtight container lined with paper towel (underneath and on top) for 4 days. To freeze, wrap individually and store in an airtight container or in a ziplock bag.
Just because you’re avoiding gluten or dairy or sugar doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy your favourite baked goods. Celebrate the cozy days of fall and make a batch of these loaves or muffins for someone you love!
Mini Gluten-Free Pumpkin Loaf (or Muffins)
- 1 cup pumpkin purée, not pie filling
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 6 tbsp zero-calorie sweetener like Monkfruit, Erythritol, or Swerve
- 6 tbsp applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour, finely ground, certified gluten-free
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, coconut oil, sweetener, applesauce, egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until all flour is incorporated.
- Scoop into 6 cavities of the mini loaf pan, smoothing to fill the cavities half full, then add another half scoop and create a mounded top. If using a muffin pan, fill 8 cups, creating rounded tops.
- Bake for 18 - 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then carefully remove from pan or carefully remove paper liners if making muffins.
- When completely cook, store in an airtight container for 4-5 days or in freezer for a month.
Love making muffins? Try these favourites of mine:
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.