This One-Pan Spiced Chicken with Apples, Bacon and Onions is sweet and smoky, tender and juicy! Perfect for a fall or winter dinner. Paleo.
It’s apple season, once again! Apple pie, apple crisp, apple slaw, apple muffins, apple bread . . . the list goes on. So today, I’m adding to that list of apple recipes we love to make again and again with this Spiced Chicken with Apples and Bacon.
This Chicken with Apples and Bacon is a one-pan dish!
Minimal clean-up. Maximum flavour. Who doesn’t love one-pan meals? I make this Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables on repeat in the fall and winter. Today, however, this new one-pan chicken dish was on my menu!
Juicy chicken, smoky bacon, and sweet apples, all on a bed of tender onions–this is my way of saying, “Hello Fall!” (despite the fact that I’m not ready to let go of summer.) This is a harvest-time meal packed full of interesting subtle flavours and textures. Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, it cooks up quickly.
Start by sizzling thick-cut bacon in a skillet, and season chicken with a tiny bit of allspice and turmeric. Brown the chicken, and remove from the pan while you cook the onions and apples. Add the chicken back to the pan, stir in a little lemon, honey and chicken broth, then cover and cook until tender.
Allspice and Turmeric add hints of fall!
Allspice is an ingredient I don’t use often. I think in the hundreds of recipes here on the blog, I’ve only used it a handful of times, in this recipe for Mulled Cinnamon-Orange Pears with Mascarpone and, of course, in this Simmering Holiday Potpourri that I make at Christmas time.
But using it in a savoury dish was new to me. Allspice and turmeric add subtle hints of warm fall spices, not enough to dominate, but just enough to enhance.
I found this recipe in an old Food Network magazine. The first time I made it, I followed the recipe exactly as written. Denis and I both agreed while it was good, it could use some upgrades! I adapted the recipe by adding bacon for smoky flavour to contrast with the sweet apples, by reducing the amount of chicken broth to make a more reduced sauce, and by tossing in a little fresh rosemary to give the dish a wonderful aroma. So much better!
Serve this spiced chicken with apples dish with green vegetables like kale, broccoli, or green beans, with Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes or with a mixture of roasted root vegetables. And welcome Fall and all it brings!
One-Pan Spiced Chicken with Apples and Bacon
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4 oz. each
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 medium apples , cored and cut into eighths
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Season one side of the chicken breasts with half of the allspice, turmeric and a few grinds of pepper. Set aside.
- Slice bacon into 1-inch lengths and fry in a large skillet until almost crisp. Remove with tongs to paper towel. Drain all but 2 tbsp oil from the pan.
- Add chicken, seasoned side down and sprinkle with the remaining spices. Brown on both sides, 3- 4 minutes per side, then remove to a plate.
- Add onions and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add apples, turning so they brown on both sides.
- Add lemon juice, chicken broth and honey and stir, scraping up any brown bits. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Arrange chicken breasts on top, cover and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. If the sauce seems too runny, remove the lid and let it reduce.
- Serve with lightly sautéed green vegetables, like kale, collards or broccoli.
How to remove turmeric stains
Turmeric will stain! It will stain your cutting board, laminate countertops, your blender, or even your fingers! I’ve found rubbing the area with a small amount of vegetable oil, followed by a general scrub with your usual cleanser will remove the stain.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.