This One-Pan Spiced Chicken with Apples, Bacon, and Onions is sweet and smoky, tender, and juicy! An easy Paleo chicken breast recipe, perfect for a fall harvest-time dinner.
It's apple season, once again! Apple pie, apple crisp, apple slaw, apple muffins, spiced applesauce cake, apple bread. . . the list goes on. So today, I'm adding to that list of apple recipes we love to make again and again with this Spiced Chicken with Apples and Bacon.
This spiced chicken with apples and bacon is a one-pan dish!
Minimal clean-up. Maximum flavour. Who doesn't love one-pan meals? I make this Sheet Pan Chicken and Roasted Harvest Vegetables on repeat in the fall and winter.
Today, however, this new one-pan chicken dish was on my menu! My recipe for Harvest Chicken with Bacon and Rosemary has similar flavours, but this fall chicken dish is a little different.
Juicy chicken, smoky bacon, and sweet apples, all on a bed of tender onions--this is my way of saying, "Hello Fall!" (despite the fact that I'm not ready to let go of summer.)
This is a harvest-time meal packed full of interesting subtle flavours and textures. Made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, it cooks up quickly.
Here's a quick overview of the steps in this recipe for Spiced Apple Chicken Breasts. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Start by sizzling thick-cut bacon in a skillet.
- Season the chicken breasts with a tiny bit of allspice and turmeric.
- Brown the chicken, then remove it from the pan while you cook the onions and apples.
- Next, add the chicken back to the pan, stir in a little lemon, honey, and chicken broth.
- And finally, cover and cook until tender.
Allspice and Turmeric add hints of fall!
Allspice is an ingredient I don't use often. I think in the hundreds of recipes here on the blog, I've only used it a handful of times, in this recipe for Mulled Cinnamon-Orange Pears with Mascarpone and, of course, in this Simmering Holiday Potpourri that I make at Christmas time.
But using it in a savoury dish was new to me. Allspice and turmeric add subtle hints of warm fall spices, not enough to dominate, but just enough to enhance.
I found this recipe in an old Food Network magazine. The first time I made it, I followed the recipe exactly as written. Denis and I both agreed while it was good, it could use some upgrades!
I adapted the recipe by adding bacon for the smoky flavour to contrast with the sweet apples, by reducing the amount of chicken broth to make a more reduced sauce, and by tossing in a little fresh rosemary to give the dish a wonderful aroma. So much better!
🍽 Serving suggestions
Serve this flavourful chicken dish with vegetables like kale, broccoli, or green beans. Try any of these favourites:
Skillet Parmesan Pecan Green Beans
Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes
Apple Cider Roasted Root Vegetables
And welcome Fall and all the wonderful flavours it brings!
How to remove turmeric stains
Turmeric will stain! It will stain your cutting board, laminate countertops, your blender, or even your fingers! I’ve found rubbing the area with a small amount of vegetable oil, followed by a general scrub with your usual cleanser will remove the stain.
One-Pan Spiced Chicken with Apples and Bacon
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 4 oz. each
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- pinch pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 medium apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- .25 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- .25 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Season one side of the chicken breasts with half of the allspice, turmeric and a few grinds of pepper. Set aside.
- Slice bacon into 1-inch lengths and fry in a large skillet until almost crisp. Remove with tongs to paper towels. Drain all but 2 tablespoons oil from the pan.
- Add chicken, seasoned side down and sprinkle with the remaining spices. Brown on both sides, 3- 4 minutes per side, then remove to a plate.
- Add onions and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add apples, turning so they brown on both sides.
- Add lemon juice, chicken broth and honey and stir, scraping up any brown bits. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Arrange chicken breasts on top, cover and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. If the sauce seems too runny, remove the lid and let it reduce.
- Serve with lightly sautéed green vegetables, like kale, collards or broccoli.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I made this last week, one of the most elegant dish I have ever made.
I was so excited to create this dish and the house smelled wonderful and
my husband and I just loved it.
Flavour & Savour
Thanks for letting me know! I'm so glad you liked it as much as we did!
Perfect for Fall. Love the pictures and the recipe.
What a great Fall meal. The apples are at their peak and this is the perfect dish to use them in.
That is autumn on a plate! We are drowning under the weight of apples this year so this will come in very handy, thank you !
Combination of apples and chicken sounds right up my alley! So heartwarming. Screams autumn!
Flavour & Savour
Thanks! Apples are so versatile, and they're great in this chicken dish.
a great dish for fall - looks fab!
Flavour & Savour
Thanks--it has our favourite fall flavours!