This Skinny Greek Chicken Bowl features succulent lemon-herb flavoured chicken with sweet watermelon, feta cheese, cucumbers and Kalamata olives This Greek chicken salad starts with a bed of arugula and is drizzled with an easy balsamic dressing.
❤️ Why this recipe works
Looking for an easy summertime dinner? This skinny Greek chicken bowl may be just what you're seeking. It uses simple, everyday ingredients and can be on the table in about 30 minutes!
Watermelon for dinner? Definitely! I make this Greek Watermelon Basil Salad on repeat in the summer months. It makes a great side salad. Today's Greek chicken salad, however, makes a complete meal, all in one bowl.
I love eating a healthy whole-meal salad for dinner at any time of year. Chicken and shrimp salads are my favourite.
And when they include refreshing watermelon, like this Skinny Greek Chicken Bowl or this Chicken Avocado Watermelon Salad with Mint Lime Dressing, they're a meal to remember! Here's a perfect summertime salad to kick off a season of eating outdoors!
This Mediterranean chicken salad is succulent, sweet and salty. With a perfect balance of flavours and textures, this has been a popular recipe with my readers.
Here are a few short notes about some of the ingredients. You'll find a complete list in the recipe card below.
- watermelon cubes: naturally sweet and refreshing
- crumbled feta: for that sweet 'n salty contrast
- cucumber: provides the necessary crunch!
- olives: Kalamata olives provide beautiful colour and flavour.
- cooked sliced chicken: you'll marinate the chicken in a simple Greek-inspired marinade
🔪 How to make this Greek Chicken Bowl
Marinating boneless, skinless chicken breasts greatly improves their flavour. This chicken salad recipe uses a simple Greek marinade made with lemon, red wine vinegar, garlic and herbs to flavour the chicken.
You can either bake or grill boneless chicken breasts. While they're cooking, arrange a bed of fresh arugula and other greens, then add sliced cucumbers, cubed watermelon, crumbled feta cheese, and pitted Kalamata olives.
Arrange sliced cooked chicken on top. Drizzle it all with balsamic vinaigrette, then happily eat off your lap in the sunshine!
Ready to eat in about half an hour!
Yes! They'll be just as delicious as chicken breasts. You'll know they're done when they've reached an internal temperature of 165°F. when measured with an instant-read meat thermometer.
❓Can I make this salad ahead of time?
This salad is best eaten on the day it's made. Store leftover salad separately from the dressing in a covered container in the fridge.
If you want to make this salad ahead of time, you can prepare the marinade and the dressing a day or two in advance, prep the watermelon, cucumber and salad greens and keep them refrigerated. Then all you'll have to do is grill the chicken and assemble the salad!
When you make this Greek chicken salad with watermelon, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox once a week.
🗒 More salad recipes to try
Skinny Greek Chicken Bowl with Watermelon and Feta
- 2 medium chicken breasts skinless, boneless (or 4 thighs)
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon each chopped fresh oregano, thyme and rosemary (or teaspoon each dried herbs)
- ¼ teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups fresh arugula or mixture of romaine and arugula
- 2 cups watermelon cubed
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup cucumber sliced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar good quality
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely chopped
- ½ clove garlic minced
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk Balsamic Vinaigrette ingredients together or shake in a small jar or combine in a small food processor. Set aside to allow flavours to blend.
- Put chicken breasts in a glass bowl. Whisk marinade ingredients together (olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper) and pour over chicken. Allow to marinate in refrigerator for 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Remove chicken from marinade. Bake (or grill chicken) for 20 - 25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Arrange greens in bowls. Top with watermelon cubes, crumbled feta, cucumber, olives and cooked sliced chicken. Drizzle with Balsamic Vinaigrette or serve on the side.